Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 06:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Where can I find 20 MIL Polypropylene (plastic sheeting)?

FYI - I also posted this in Landscaping forum, sorry if I broke a forum rule, just not sure which would be the best place to get an answer.

I'm looking for something in the area of 20 mil plastic sheeting. Something similar I've seen used in drainage ditches or pond liners. It does not need to be fish safe, I'm going to try and fab a elevated deck drainage system so the area below stays dry. Anyway kinda at a loss on where in town to look. Any ideas? Lowes, Home Depot of no help. What kind of business might carry something like this?

Thanks

Old 08-27-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Is this going to be a permanent sort of roof under the deck?

Old 08-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,058

Ayuh,....

How about rolled rubber roofing,...

Or try an Industrial/ Contractor's Suppy house,...
Old 08-27-2008, 08:58 PM   #4

rolled rubber roofing, not a bad thought. Basically I plan to lay my membrane (what ever it turns out to be) across the joists letting it droop or sag between joists. I'll create the required pitch by letting the end away from the house sag more than the part that's against the house. Actually to make it work I'll have to cut the membrane into strips that are wider on on end than the other (the strips will be about 8' long, the strips will also need to be cut wider than the joist spacing, IE - for 16" joists cut one end say 20" wide and the other end 26" wide), I'll then attach the two long edges to the top of the joists. Making the two long sides parallel to each other, this will in turn make the 26" end droop more than the 20" wide end. Will also install a gutter to divert the run off to the side. Not sure I explained my idea too well but I do have a good picture in my mind of how it will work.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Rewards Points: 1,000

I believe I steered you to a few sites with that info. Why not get your self an old pool liner. if you don't want to go with the kits.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by missin44 View Post
Basically I plan to lay my membrane (what ever it turns out to be) across the joists letting it droop or sag between joists.
What about just having some sheets of 4X8 galvanized metal cut into 16 inch wide strips and drilling some holes in the edges.

Push the sheet metal down between the joists and it'll bend into that 14 1/2 inch gap between them.

Push the sheet metal down more at the downstream end.

Then drive nails through the holes into the joists to hold both sides in place.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
I believe I steered you to a few sites with that info. Why not get your self an old pool liner. if you don't want to go with the kits.
Thanks, I like the idea of the old pool liner. I even had one last summer but it's trash now. BTW - Not sure what you mean when you say that you steered me to a few sites with info I need, but still the pool liner is a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
What about just having some sheets of 4X8 galvanized metal cut into 16 inch wide strips and drilling some holes in the edges.

Push the sheet metal down between the joists and it'll bend into that 14 1/2 inch gap between them.

Push the sheet metal down more at the downstream end.

Then drive nails through the holes into the joists to hold both sides in place.

I like your idea too, thanks. Can't see why it wouldn't work, I need to give this some thought. All you guys a big help.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:02 AM   #8

What about corrugated fiberglass roofing... they have clear ones and stuff and they're relatively large just mount them under the same way to the joists, they're lightweight and at the end where you want the water to flow just add wood in between so that they're lower than the beginning.

Just and idea.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by missin44 View Post
FYI - I also posted this in Landscaping forum, sorry if I broke a forum rule, just not sure which would be the best place to get an answer.

I'm looking for something in the area of 20 mil plastic sheeting. Something similar I've seen used in drainage ditches or pond liners. It does not need to be fish safe, I'm going to try and fab a elevated deck drainage system so the area below stays dry. Anyway kinda at a loss on where in town to look. Any ideas? Lowes, Home Depot of no help. What kind of business might carry something like this?

Thanks
Did you find the 20 mil plastic sheeting or choose something else. I'm thinking about doing the same thing under my deck to diver water. Thinking about using a 45 mil EPDM pond liner, and deploying the same way you stated in your job. Can you share your results--what did you use, where did you find the materials, how did it work-out?
Old 09-21-2009, 05:41 PM   #10
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,020

"missin44", I don't know you're location, but maybe this will help. When I visit a sister in the Atlanat, GA. area I see a lot of multi-level homes built with decks off of the main floor and patios off of the lower floor, the lower floor being the basement. I also see a lot of these with what almost looks like vinyl soffit material (I know it's not) which does exactly what you are wanting. It will catch any water run-off from the deck, contain it, and allow it to drain in whatever direction the installer's so choose. There is an enclosed "gutter" on one end or side which is connected to a downspout to divert the water away from the home. Maybe a "Google" will turn up this material. Good Luck, David
Old 09-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

This thread is over a year old
The original poster has not been back to the site in almost a year
If you have a similar question please open a new thread

Closed Thread