Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #1

Share |

Where to buy tin/metal roofing?

I'd like to avoid shingles and go with a cheaper solution to roofing for my shed. The kind of material you see on old barns and very low income homes.

http://i.imgur.com/qgdSC.png
http://i.imgur.com/TYELA.jpg

I visited Kents recently but he didn't seem to know what I was talking about and all they have is steel roofing which is typically for commercial construction and more expensive than shingling.

Where do you get this? what's it called?

Last edited by ligyron; 10-20-2011 at 10:43 AM.
ligyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #2
Mod

http://www.lowes.com/pd_12475-28906-...ductId=3050351

The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
ligyron (10-20-2011)
Old 10-20-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
Retired from the grind

Tin is not the proper material for roofing. One is that it will deteriorate quicker if in the snow belt, or along the oceans. There are better and cheaper materials out there.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #4

I don't think any modern metal roofing is actually tin. Mine is steel, and I think you can get aluminum as well. Both Lowe's and Home Depot sell the steel barn style, which is held on with screws and which a DIYer can easily install.

I have no direct comparison, but suspect it is NOT cheaper than shingles. Nor is it exclusive to "very low income homes." In places like Colorado, even some of the most expensive homes have barn-style metal roofs. Something about the look, I guess.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #5
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Tin is not the proper material for roofing.
Try telling the farmers around here that. Especially for a shed.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:40 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
I don't think any modern metal roofing is actually tin. Mine is steel, and I think you can get aluminum as well. Both Lowe's and Home Depot sell the steel barn style, which is held on with screws and which a DIYer can easily install.

I have no direct comparison, but suspect it is NOT cheaper than shingles. Nor is it exclusive to "very low income homes." In places like Colorado, even some of the most expensive homes have barn-style metal roofs. Something about the look, I guess.
It is not tin that is used, it is Steel roofing that is used in Snow country. My in-laws used it on their buildings on their property, just like pretty much everyone up in the U.P.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
Old 10-20-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
Retired from the grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Try telling the farmers around here that. Especially for a shed.
Cheap to use, and the wood usually rots within a few years. There is a correct product to use for roofing, and tin is not one of them. Unless you are trying to achieve a look, like you see down in the South for the old migrant worker shacks.
Old 10-21-2011, 06:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Cheap to use, and the wood usually rots within a few years. There is a correct product to use for roofing, and tin is not one of them. Unless you are trying to achieve a look, like you see down in the South for the old migrant worker shacks.
Yeah, that a look I'd be going for. NOT.

md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote