Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-04-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
nax

Share |

When to use pressure treated?

I'm going to be building an outdoor glider and I'm not sure if I need to use PT wood for points that will be in contact with the ground (it will be set on grass, not 'crete) or if I need to use it for the entire thing. I live in TX and the glider will be subject to the full elements (rain, sun, shade, heat, cold, humidity, wind, you name it).

nax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:12 PM   #2

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074

PT wood should be used when it is in contact with the ground or in contact with concrete that is in contact with the ground.

If wood is in contact with concrete that is not in contact with the ground. it does not have to be PT, but you may want to use PT for weather resistance.

Make sure you use the proper fasteners for corrosion resistance.

Last edited by concretemasonry; 07-04-2007 at 03:38 PM.
concretemasonry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:10 PM   #3
nax

So I should only NEED to use the PT for the base frame in contact with the ground? If I go with just a normal lumber (wife wants pine), what sort of sealer/stain should I use?

And for fasteners, I have ceramic coated screws. Would those work or do I need to use galvanized (or something different)?
nax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:16 PM   #4

Cedar is a good option for a swing. It has a natural resistance to the elements.

Pressure treated is not attractive at all. It's hard to stain and does not hold paint well.

I'm guessing this swing is something that you will want to use often and have it be a showpiece of sorts.

My view of PT lumber is, use it only if it's not going to be seen or if you have to use it for code reasons.
jiggyjack is offline   Reply With Quote