Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #1

Share |

When tiling...

...is it standard practice in new construction to tile AFTER placing base cabinets? In my remodels, I have always removed cabinets etc and tiled the entire floor. That allows someone to change cabinets or repair a damaged cabinet without having to locate and piece in tile. It seems logical. However, I noticed in my new home, the base cabinets are in and there is no tile down. Obviously they are going to tile around it all. Seems all the extra cuts outweigh the extra tile cost. Thoughts?

Aerovette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 11:20 AM   #2

When tiling...

Pretty common. Tile under stuff the is not permenate. Ie Stove, Fridge.

RYANINMICHIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:58 PM   #3
carpentry

When tiling...

I've seen it done both ways....I would say that you're right about extra tile being more efficient than cutting.

I can think of a couple reasons why we'd set the cabs first. The tile may be back ordered or delayed, or the there's a schedule conflict with the flooring contractor. Not usually the first choice, but the GC may have made the decision to move forward rather than letting the tile disrupt the entire schedule.

There could well be other explainations, I personally prefer to have the flooring installed before the cabinets. Grouting into them isn't unheard of, so I wouldn't worry too much. You also wouldn't be out of bounds to ask the GC.
WNYcarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:07 PM   #4
remodeling pro

When tiling...

We always tile under the cabinets. The cost is pretty minor in the scope of a project, and it will be geatly appreciated one day when the cabs are changed. By the time you figure the cost of building up under the cabs to the tile level, and the cost of all the tile cuts, it is probably actually cheaper.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #5
General Contractor

When tiling...

Another case of opinions vary...we set the cabs and then tile. Of course, with acid stained concrete and scored floors becoming popular, we may be doing a lot less tiling.

joasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #6

When tiling...

We always put the cabs in first that way we get a nice clean tight finish and we do not have to worry about uneven floors.

Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote