DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

when to replace chimney

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  II Weeks 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a large chimney that needs a new crown and replacement of bricks several rows below crown from mortar failure & brick deterioration. Some of the other bricks in rest of the chimney have some degree of spalling & some look as if the may need to be replaced & some areas of mortar will need to be repaired. When I say "some" I am estimating 5%. So, my question, do I replace the entire chimney of replace what needs replacing. Estimates from a very reputable company were $8500 for a complete replacement and 3700 or a new crown, replace damaged brick & mortar below crown, spot replace bricks & mortar in rest of chimney. There would be an additional fee of $300 to seal entire chimney next season. I know its hard to say when, but... generally speaking, when is it beter to replace the entire chimney over repairing it? regards, Michael S.

#2 ·
If yours is like mine you may end up replacing it anyway, or at least some of it. I started out with the intention of fixing a couple of courses of brick and ended up having to take the thing down to the roof and build it back up. I also found every tile down to the firebox was cracked and needed replaced plus the top two tiles of the boiler flue.

The estimate I got for the work was $8500 also, but that was only based on what they and I initially saw. I'm sure it would have been nearly double that once it was all said and done. I ended up doing it myself, but I don't recommend this unless one is familiar with the dynamics of a chimney. I'm not a mason by any means, but I can put up a block or brick wall properly, just takes me longer. I did it myself and then put in a new insert and liner, all for just under $4000. It was not a fun job.

#3 ·
is this chimney for a fireplace or boiler? If its for a boiler, consider up grading to a newer system that doesnt need a chimney. Be about the same price as replacing the chimney. We did that in a house this year and the homeowner gained a new closet on every floor.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.