Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-18-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
New Home Owner

Share |

When to install Doors

I am finishing my basement, I've got all the stud work and electrical done, I've got most of the drywall done, but not finished. I still have to do the ceiling and tape and mud portions. About 1/2 has the tape and mud done. I received the doors for the project and wanted to know when I should install them. They came before I had all of the drywall taped and mudded and are leaned up against one wall that I can't get to know until I install some of the doors. I could use some suggestions as to what to do first.......

DandHJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Mod

When to install Doors

You can do whatever you want but I don’t want my doors any ware near the mud mess.

Old 09-18-2010, 04:14 PM   #3
DIY staff

When to install Doors

Doors and trim are usually installed last--after the drywall is done,primed and the first coat of paint is complete.

Before carpet--easier after tile,if you are tiling the floors.---Mike---

I hope I answered the question.
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (09-18-2010)
Old 09-18-2010, 11:23 PM   #4

When to install Doors

I am to the point where I am finishing up all the tiling. My question is when you installed the base trim, how much of a gap to you use between the concrete and the trim? The carpet is going on concrete and we want to use a thicker padding. Also do you leave that same gap at the base of the door and the bottom of the door frame?
NE78FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 12:53 AM   #5

When to install Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE78FJ40 View Post
I am to the point where I am finishing up all the tiling. My question is when you installed the base trim, how much of a gap to you use between the concrete and the trim? The carpet is going on concrete and we want to use a thicker padding. Also do you leave that same gap at the base of the door and the bottom of the door frame?
Depends on the carpet. Some are thicker and need about 5/8" from the concrete. Others are thinner and only need 3/8 or so. Contact your carpet supplier and speak with the installer, if possible.
The door jambs should be spaced off the floor the same amount, except on tile or lino where the jamb is set down on top of those finishes.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:40 AM   #6

When to install Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by NE78FJ40 View Post
I would suggest 1/2".

vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vsheetz For This Useful Post:
BigJim (09-19-2010), oh'mike (09-19-2010)

Tags
basement finishing, doors