Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-06-2008, 08:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

whats your opion on my plan to finish basement?

So im about to begin finishing my basement in Massachusetts where the winters are cold and the summers can be very hot. Just bought the house and the front part of the basement is half underground and the back is a walkout basement.I use a dehumidifier just cause the unfinished basement has a basement musty smell but no visual water. All walls have been plumbed (for inlaw apt) mostly all wired about 90% of it. and fully studded with 2x4's. so the plan is to refresh the paint on the walls to prevent the moisture(unfortuantly i will have to just try to get underneath the studs ). Then I was planning on using kraft faced r-19 which is 6 1/4 inch thick, but also considering using kraft faced r-13 because that what everyone else is using online. Am i just wasting more money or the thicker the insulation the better? then i was planing a vapor barrier over that, stapled to the studs. then up goes the drywall. not planning on insulating the interior walls since its only a 450 sqft area

bpchevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 08:35 AM   #2
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

You stated that you wanted to use Kraft face insulation Good, but then you want to put a vapor barrier over that, NO GOOD you will have two vapor barriers behind the wall trapping moisture and mold.
R-13 is fine for a basement. try using unfaced and then the 6mil. poly vapor barrier over the insulation caulk it to the floor and run it up the wall and over the ceiling make sure you tape all the seams. Just your outside walls need to be done.

buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #3

Just don't squeeze a 5-1/2" batt into a 3-1/2" stud space. Compressed fiberglass is much less effective than fiberglass with plenty of fluff.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 09:44 AM   #4

thanks for the help so far , the insulation is the part where im getting lost but seems like ill just go with the r-13 unfaced and put up my own vapor barrier. thanks again and anymore help would be great thanks !
bpchevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote