What's Wrong With This Concrete Finish? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What's wrong with this concrete finish?

Hi all, I new and hoping I'm putting this post in the correct place.

I had all new concrete poured for a new driveway and walkways in my front yard about 3 months ago. I'm wanting to seal it before winter but am concerned by the inconsistant look on the surface and don't want to "lock-it-in" until I understand and am able to improve it, if I can. Basically, it's colored concrete with off-colored color powder applied while it was wet. Some of it is stamped with troweled bands. The contractor taped plastic over the bands so the powder would only get into the stamped areas. I think they removed the plast too soon as you can see broom marks on the bands in places.

My question is this - I've tried removing the broom marks/powder from those areas with an electric power washer which did almost nothing. Is there any way of getting this stuff off of those areas where they shouldn't be, maybe a more powerful power washer or etching acid? Any ideas?

I'll try including a couple of pictures, I hope they upload ok.

Thanks
Attached Images

Advertisement

Joepublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #2

I thought I would include an additional photo,
Attached Images

Advertisement

Old 09-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,290

Did you contact the installer?

There are several concrete people here---One should be able to help.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #4

I tried to get the contractor to come out and evaluate the finish but to no avail. I planned on sealing it myself once I figure out what to do with the concrete surface.

BTW I'm out in the San Jose area of Northern California.

Thanks
Old 09-03-2011, 04:47 AM   #5
jpc
jc

Rewards Points: 158
Send a message via Yahoo to jpc

you could water down some hydrocloric, or muriatic acid, and acid etch that little bit off, dont let it sit on the concrete too long, and clean it off with a pressure washer, not a huge powerful one, u want the acid to do the work, the pressure washer is only used to clean it all of so it doesnt continue to eat, good luck
jpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,144

Two questions:

Has it not been sealed yet by the contractor?

How does it look when it's wet.

I don't think you're going to be able to get rid of any broom marks in it w/o taking off most/all the surface color in that area.
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:01 PM   #7

Thanks for the responses. It looks just as bad when wet. I remember the look was supposed to be mottled around the stamped areas but they put so much powder on, they ended up changing the color altogether. It's now mono colored to the color of the powder, but when they swept off the excess powder, they did it after they had removed the protective plastic from the bands and before the concrete had a chance to set more, thus the broom marks from the powder on some of my bands.

I think I'll try a muratic acid solution on a small corner of a walkway on the side of my house that isn't seen much.

Thanks again for the suggestions
The Following User Says Thank You to Joepublic For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (09-03-2011)
Old 09-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #8

Actually I found a bottle of concrete acid etch in my garage/shop cupboard (hydrochloric and Phosphoric acid based). I applied it to a portion of concrete band kinda mottled with broomed-on powdered color. I followed then instructions applying it full strength and scrubbing it with a stiff brush. I then waited a few minutes and washed it off with a power washer.

After it dried it looked worse. All the acid did was to desolve the powder a little and etch it into the rest of the concrete making it mono colored to the color of the powder.

I think I'm stuck with this concrete look, ugh!
Old 09-04-2011, 08:31 AM   #9

Just clean it and apply a Epoxy based product (NOT ONE FROM THE CHAIN STORE ) I have an industrial epoxy on a slab of mine that forklift
works on daily and is holding up, I know the product exist just dont know the name

Coconut

Advertisement

coconut sunrise is offline   Reply With Quote