Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-12-2008, 12:19 AM   #1
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan
Share |

Whats the difference between framing interior and exterior doors?

I've framed in enough interior doors to know what I need to do ahead of time, but are exterior doors any different?
Old 06-12-2008, 06:10 AM   #2

If you buy prehung, there's no difference that I can think of. You just find out what the rough opening size is and pop it in. The only difference in the door frame itself is that the exterior will have a waterproof threshold and the door will usually have some kind of rubber sweeper at the bottom to seal it off.
jayp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 06:20 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Framing-in of door openings is the same. The Rough Openings are all the same concept.

The only difference may be in the jamb widths. Older homes may have thicker exterior substrate materials, thicker plaster on the interior side. These can widen the jambs.

So measure precisely when getting the actual door. So, the installation of the door is what is primarily the main difference.

About 70% of the front doors we install require extension jambs to accomodate the difference in thickness. We usually end up fabricating our own. Additionally, the steps involved in proper weather sealing, drip caps, silicone, fastening, matching up exterior and interior thresh-holds, siding adjustments, etc.... can be quite complex.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 06-12-2008 at 06:26 AM.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:11 PM   #4
remodeling pro

As stated, the basic concept is the same. The only real difference is the waterproofing required for an exterior installation.

Just a couple of my 2 cents added to AtlanticWB's points. It is a lot easier to order the door with the correct jamb width than have to make your own jamb extensions. If you have access to a mill supplier who deals to the trade, they will assemble the unit with any jamb width you specify. Most units now come with an aluminum threshold of some type, that is pretty flimsy at the outer edge, and usually requires some type of support under them to control the flexing when stepped on.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by troubleseeker View Post
As stated, the basic concept is the same. The only real difference is the waterproofing required for an exterior installation.

Just a couple of my 2 cents added to AtlanticWB's points. It is a lot easier to order the door with the correct jamb width than have to make your own jamb extensions. If you have access to a mill supplier who deals to the trade, they will assemble the unit with any jamb width you specify. Most units now come with an aluminum threshold of some type, that is pretty flimsy at the outer edge, and usually requires some type of support under them to control the flexing when stepped on.
What is a good way to support the threshold?
Old 06-14-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
remodeling pro

Rip a piece of pt so that it is about 1/8" less than the overhang of the threshold, between 2 1/2 to 3 1/2" wide, and long enough to match the overall width of the outside door trim and give it several coats of primer on all sides, particularly the end grains. The best thing is that you would be able to attach it directly to the rim joist of the house, but you can also bevel the backside of it to match the profile of your siding and attach it through the siding (Not through vinyl though) with long countersunk fasteners, either stainless steel or deck screws. Using a quality sealant (I like polyurethane, but it can get messy so have thinner and rags ready for cleanup) , completely bed the top side where it will be in contact with the bottom of the overhanging threshold, and run a bead on three sides of the back where it will contact the house, leaving the bottom uncaulked for moisture weepage. Fill and paint to match house. If you have access to pvc or plastic material, it is even better tha PT, as it will never rot, but it is usually only available in full lengths at dealers. Do not use the composites such as Trex, as they are not up to their marketing hype in performance.

Last edited by troubleseeker; 06-14-2008 at 03:37 PM.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote