Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2009, 08:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

What's the Best Way to Cover Acoustic Tiles?

Hello,

I have my music room in a detached garage that is 20x17ft. I use the room for band rehearsal. Currently, the walls are covered with 2x4ft acoustic ceiling tiles that were glued to the wall. Underneath is also a layer of 1/2" fiberboard (soundboard). I'd like finish the walls in an inexpensive way.

I have thought about the following options: drywall over tiles, fabric covering, light carpet, paneling, etc.

I think drywall would look the best but I don't have any experience with drywall and am afraid if I do the work it will look amateurish. To hire it out drywall work would be quite spendy.

The other options mentioned would be cheaper, as I could probably do them myself.

What are your thoughts on the options I have listed? Any other recommendations? Do you have any pictures to share of either a room of yours or examples online?

Thanks much.

ruanddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:27 PM   #2

For band practice in a relatively small room, why don't you want to keep the acoustic tile? To heck with the looks, keep what sounds good. Dress it up with wooden strips over the joints or something. Lightly paint it to freshen the appearance.

If you put up carpet it's going to deaden the room and you won't be able to hear the other musicians.

If you put up sheetrock it's going to be so live you won't be able to hear your mistakes (reverb masks mistakes).

Paneling is an option, but you'll probably find it to be too live.

I used to practice in our living room, which had acoustic tile ceiling, panneling, and wall to wall. Now it's got sheetrock, sheetrock, and hardwood. It looks a lot nicer, and for a livingroom looks are important, but it's not going to work very well for a practice room anymore.

pyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 09:45 PM   #3

Appreciate your advice. You're probably right looks aren't everything. However, the tiles are very soft and dent easily so I guess it's more than just cosmetic.

Any other opinions?
ruanddu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
Phil

Cheapest with final appearance in mind is to add another layer of sheetrock that is offset by rubber spacers or the green goop that is used by people building home theaters who need to isolate the loud sound from the rest of the house. Check the various home theater builder forums. Sheetrock on walls is no big deal but for ceilings I would rather have someone else do it who has the proper equipment and experience.

With the current economy you can get sheetrock installed for half of what it would have cost a few years ago. Just be sure the sheetrock is made in the USA and not China.
Phillysun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:16 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruanddu View Post
Appreciate your advice. You're probably right looks aren't everything. However, the tiles are very soft and dent easily so I guess it's more than just cosmetic.

Any other opinions?
Get a box of tiles and replace them when they get too bad?

I asked a guy at a drywall supply company and they also sell acoustic treatment. They have some stuff that comes in panels about an inch thick. Kind of like those cloth covered bulletin boards. They are amazing in their ability to stop echos.

One nice thing about either of these is you can use thumb tacks to put up music...
pyper is offline   Reply With Quote