Whats The Best Way To Attach A 4x8 Header To Wall??? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Whats the best way to attach a 4x8 header to wall???

Ok here goes ill try to explain as much as i can without writing a book ..I have a house thats all framed up but did not pass the structrual engineering inspection ...I have 2x12 cieling joist spaning approx 17 ft give or take. The framer i hired Nothched the 2x12 where it sits on the walls by 6 inches ...which is not the way the plan was drawn by doing this the structural engineer said it needs more support. So he told me i need to put a 4x8 header/ledger under the cieling joist .. I need to attach these 4x8 to the wall what would be the best way to do this ??? any suggestions would be apprieciated ...

Advertisement

BK77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 04:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

Normally a ledger is nailed, but with the 4x thickness that won't be possible. Take a look at Ledger-Lock screws for this, as an alternative to lag screws, because they won't booger up the studs as bad. How many screws and where they should go can only be dictated by an engineer. If the engineer is specifying the 4x8 header he should also specify a means of attachment.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Well the engineer should provide a detail drawing that will specify the method of attachment. Obviously the only viable choice with a 4x is lag bolts. I wonder why the engineer chose such a design. The strength is limited by the method of attachment but a 2x with enough nails should calc out fine.

Might I suggest 2x blocking between the joists over the top plate and joist hangers. You could even let in the bottom of the hanger so as to not create an uneven surface for the drywall.

If I have understood your situation, you will now have a dropped ceiling. That will require a row if fire blocks where the ceiling meets the wall.

Maybe I know what I am talking about or maybe I don't.
Tigerloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,032

The S.E should have spec'ed this out, as said. Ask him/her if solid blocking behind the hangers, on edge, to act as fire-block as well as back support for the hangers...

Gary