Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2009, 07:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What is wrong with this door?

I have a recently installed door that appears to be falling apart before my very eyes. I have it installed on an exterior utility room.

I installed it only about a month ago and I've just noticed a major problem. The bottom portion of the door has apparently dropped down about 1/8 of inch. There is also some rippling as well (see pic).

It's a solid pine door. It was primed and then given at least two coats of paint.
It's "ReliaBilt" I believe, bought from Lowes. (I can't recall if it was marked as an interior or exterior door - but either way it shouldn't be disintegrating this fast, right?)

Any idea what may have caused this? Is it just a defective door, poorly put together at the factory? Can it be fixed?
Thanks for any insight.
Attached Thumbnails
What is wrong with this door?-doorp_1.jpg  

kelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:36 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

you bought it at a box store and expected quality? Is this an interior door that you are using as an exterior door?

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

An interior door will be 1 3/8 thick, an exterior door is 1 3/4. But it does indeed look like someone forgot to glue that rail, but it should also be doweled. So even if it was not glued, it should not do that. And I have to agree with Bob, but they will probably take it back. There are warranties on such problems.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 06:45 AM   #4
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

Looks like the bottom rail has absorbed some moisture and swelled. The rippling is where some of the wood attached to the stiles has swelled laterally and lifted. This happens mostly when the bottom of a wooden door is not properly finished and then exposed to moisture. You might as well replace it, as it will never be right again. Even if you sand it and plane the bottom flush, it won't be the same as it was from new. This would happen on any quality door under the same conditions.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 01:35 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Hi. It's 1 3/4. So I guess it was an interior. I bought it over year or so ago and only installed it recently. I foolishly probably didn't give any thought to whether it was Int. or Ext. when I bought it, because the door that was on it previously was the same thickness, so I just assumed it was an exterior door. And that door that was there previously lasted at least 12-15 years. Plus with the primer and 2 coats of paint I put on, I thought I wouldn't have any issues. Boy, was I wrong. Live and learn I guess.

I'll just try and make sure the next door I get is better quality and I'll definitely triple the amount of coats of paint I put on to make sure no moisture gets in. Thanks for the insights everyone.
kelli is offline   Reply With Quote