What Is And Where Do I Find The R Value In Windows - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2008, 10:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What is and where do I find the R Value in Windows

Can someone tell me where I find that and what that means and what I should be looking for in Ga? Thanks.

Advertisement

Hoyacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

First of all, windows are usually specify a U-value rather than an R-value. U-value is just the inverse of R-value. The higher the R-value the less heat loss/better insulated, and the lower the U-value the less heat loss. Normally a double pane, argon-filled window should be around a 0.37 or so U-value. But obviously different manufacturers, etc can be better or worse. Usually these values are stated on the manufacturers sticker on a new window or can be found on the manufacturers website for each model. I live in a much different climate in Georgia, but I assume heat loss is not a huge concern, but still should consider something well insulated to reduce heat gain as well. Another thing to pay attention to is solar heat gain coefficient in a warmer, sunnier climate. You'll definately want something with Low-E(emissivity). The lower the solar heat gain coefficient(SHGC) the less solar heat it transmits which translates into lower cooling costs. This value should also be found on sticker or literature related to product.

Advertisement

dhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. I knew that insulation was rated on an R value but for some reason I saw an article that had R value for windows and I thought I was missing something. Anyhow, thanks for the info.
Hoyacoach is offline   Reply With Quote