Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2010, 12:20 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

What To Use to Treat Playground Wood?

I'm going to try and build a playground....I assume I'd use the cheap pinewood they sell at home depot/lowes?

What is something I could use to coat it with....if I don't want to use the pressure treated wood?

limitdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #2

maybe like a tung oil or linseed oil?

would that protect it?

Old 05-19-2010, 11:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

Not if you want it to last or look good.

Nothing you put on pine will protect it to the degree pressure treatment would. Pressure treatment fills the wood to retention whereas a product applied to the surface doesn't. In contact with the ground it won't last at all if untreated, and a coat of stain/sealer/oil won't matter much, if at all.

My suggestion would be to get pressure treated. The new treatment isn't like the stuff they used even a few years ago. Much safer stuff.

Another option is to consider woods that are naturally more resistant to bugs and water/rot. Cedar would be the most economical, and Ipe would be at the more pricey end. If you opt for cedar (more than twice the price of treated wood), plan on applying a penetrating oil that has UV inhibitors such as Penofin.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Not if you want it to last or look good.

Nothing you put on pine will protect it to the degree pressure treatment would. Pressure treatment fills the wood to retention whereas a product applied to the surface doesn't. In contact with the ground it won't last at all if untreated, and a coat of stain/sealer/oil won't matter much, if at all.

My suggestion would be to get pressure treated. The new treatment isn't like the stuff they used even a few years ago. Much safer stuff.

Another option is to consider woods that are naturally more resistant to bugs and water/rot. Cedar would be the most economical, and Ipe would be at the more pricey end. If you opt for cedar (more than twice the price of treated wood), plan on applying a penetrating oil that has UV inhibitors such as Penofin.
thank you for the info.

What about using Penofin oil on untreated pine wood? or am I looking a cheap way out, when in fact there isn't one?

the treehouse will be for kids....my conern is the chemicals/heavy metals? leaching into the soil....

the people at home depot will cut pine for you, but they will not cut treated wood for you....I'm wondering why...
Old 05-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #5

also, what do most companies use? all their wood looks the same...it has a brown color....I'll attach a picture....
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #6

how do the professionals make their wood brown?
Old 05-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Penofin is a good product but like I said before you're wasting your time with untreated pine. Do yourself a favor and drop that idea. I'll say it again...NOTHING YOU PUT ON UNTREATED PINE WILL DO WHAT YOU WANT IT TO IN THIS APPLICATION. Go with cedar if you're worried about it. Around here the brown colored wood on playgrounds is cedar. But you can just as easily stain treated wood brown.

As for the supposed toxicity of treated wood, pooey. There is NO HAZARD unless you eat massive amounts of the wood or inhale massive amounts of the dust over an extended period of time. The new treated woods (ACQ, etc) are what they used to require for food contact applications (shipping containers, shipping trailers, picnic tables) back in the days of CCA. As for Home Depot not cutting it.....With paranoid people running around and having good attorneys...Someone with concerns such as yours gets one breath of sawdust in their store and they're filing suit (for no good reason). This is a letigious country/world and Home Depot knows it. Can't blame them for having this silly policy.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Termite For This Useful Post:
kwikfishron (05-22-2010)