What To Use For Hardi Joint Flashing? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 45

What to use for Hardi joint flashing?

I know that I can't use aluminum flashing on cement products but what is recommended as a long lasting joint flashing for the area where Hardiplank siding panels meet; will rigid PVC last as long as the siding or will it get brittle and crack over time?

Thanks

Advertisement

kooshball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:06 AM   #2
dIYHell

Rewards Points: 150

Actually you can use metal flashing for hardipanels Fry Reglet makes them http://fryreglet.com/products-revealpaneltrim.htm. I did a project with them and it produces a very cool modern look. Its a bit tricky because you don't install the panels then install the trim to cover inaccuracies you need to install the reglets at the same time you install the panels. your cuts need to be very accurate and you need to counter synch and screw not nail the panels.

If your looking for trim to place on after the fact I don't know why you can use aluminum flashing other than it would be hard to install to look nice, never heard of not using aluminun with cementous material. you could also use wood trim?

Advertisement

rocketdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,010

I'd check with your local building department. Also, pre-drill the face or blind nails at joints and prime the ends. OR, put all factory ends at butt joints. They may say 30# paper. Remember this is a porous cement product that will wick water readily.
Be safe, Gary
Old 12-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Next Time...New Build

Rewards Points: 150

We always factory butted the seams as GBR mentioned and place strips of 15# felt behind the seams to hide the white of the Tyvek in case of some shrinkage of the panels. These were the painted panels that came finished directly from the factory with the chosen color.

However, in the corners and the drip above windows we bent up alumininum and butted the panels directly to that without an issue.

This was in the northeast for a house directly on a lake that gets exposed to driving rains as well as some pretty good snowfall. We did this quite a few years ago and have not had any complaints.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,010

Use the right application....... http://www.fortifiber.com/pdf/fortif...sk_vs_felt.pdf
Be safe, Gary