Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #1

Share |

What types of wood is used in your area?

I was reading through some posts and noticed some people use different types of wood for framing. It seems like the only wood used in my area is southern pine. I mostly see number 2 southern pine stamped on all of the wood. Is there certain framing that requires different types of wood or is southern pine sufficient for framing an entire house?

bluefitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:03 PM   #2

Go to the library and check out your local building code. Look at the span tables for joists, rafters, lintels, and other uses. All the species and grades are listed with their maximum allowable spans. You will notice a big difference between "Southern Pine" and Douglas Fir. However, the fir will cost you alot more at the lumber yard. Short answer, yes you can frame your whole house with pine as long as you don't exceed your maximum spans. It doesn't make any sense to frame your whole house with D. Fir when a cheaper softer wood would be easier to screw and nail and still be strong enough to hold up the gyp rock. Nevertheless I have seen plans where the architect has recommended all lumber should be D.Fir unless otherwise noted. Go figure. Lately, codes are relaxing a little bit on this species issue; they are starting to realize that design and workmanship are more important in determining the overall structural strength of any construction. Good question.

Last edited by sawyerEd; 12-10-2008 at 11:05 PM.
sawyerEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:53 PM   #3

It is primarily a regionally driven issue. Some regions are primarily southern pine, some are doug fir...Based on regional availability. That being said, most common species are available everywhere. Personally, I hate southern pine even though it is capable of the longest spans among the common species (SPF, doug fir, hem fir). It is hard as rocks and gets all squirelly as soon as you break the bands of the bundle. Give me fir, hem fir, or SPF anyday. Treated lumber is nearly always southern pine since fir is a more refractory species (more resistant to treatment).

Check the codes in your area to determine what requirements are in place for studs, joists, rafters, etc. Species is never mandated by code in framing applications, span is.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:27 AM   #4
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluefitness View Post
I was reading through some posts and noticed some people use different types of wood for framing. It seems like the only wood used in my area is southern pine. I mostly see number 2 southern pine stamped on all of the wood. Is there certain framing that requires different types of wood or is southern pine sufficient for framing an entire house?
In wisconsin my house was build with Spruce in 63. I think everything I am buying now is pine.
Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #5

Here in Canada spruce is used by the most part! Of course, 9/10 of the country is covered with this tree.
We grow oak here, but prefer to use Pennsylvania oak for finishing work!
Wildie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 08:47 PM   #6

Out here in Northeast PA most lumber yards sell SPF Which is like $3.40 for a 2x4x8 stud. In New jersey right acroos the border they sell doug fir for $1.20 a stud . Figures right? The SPF which is garbage is more expensive then doug fir a better quality framing lumber.
kevin211mvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:41 AM   #7

deffinatley agree with that. an oak finish does look best
richardbrickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 10:16 PM   #8

I've had doug fir that had dried so hard, it twisted the heads off #8 screws. Normal framing nails could not be driven through it without drilling pilot holes. Give me spruce studs any day especially under gyprock. I'll save the fir for places where I need greater structural strength and I'm going to drill pilot holes anyway.

sawyerEd is offline   Reply With Quote