Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2008, 12:11 AM   #1
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

What type of insulation do I need....

In my rafters and 2x6 exterior walls ?

Thanks!

Old 05-30-2008, 05:42 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

I do not know what the energy requirements dictate in your region.

2x6 walls will hold R-19 Fiberglass Batt type insulation. If using a spray foam, you can gain greater Thermal efficiency than R-19.

As far as your attic goes, again, that pertains to your regional requirements and method of heating (if in a colder region).

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:25 AM   #3
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

I hope by "rafters" you mean ceiling joists. Insulating between roof rafters is a tricky proposition and must be done carefully and correctly.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:18 PM   #4
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
I hope by "rafters" you mean ceiling joists. Insulating between roof rafters is a tricky proposition and must be done carefully and correctly.

Don't most single story houses have insulation above the sheetrock that is hanging from the rafters?
Old 05-30-2008, 11:19 PM   #5
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
I do not know what the energy requirements dictate in your region.

2x6 walls will hold R-19 Fiberglass Batt type insulation. If using a spray foam, you can gain greater Thermal efficiency than R-19.

As far as your attic goes, again, that pertains to your regional requirements and method of heating (if in a colder region).
Right now, none of my house is insulated at all... 1950's construction.... This information is helpful. Thank you.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Don't most single story houses have insulation above the sheetrock that is hanging from the rafters?
Yes, sort of. You're confusing terms here. Your rafters are the sloped members that frame the pitch of the roof. Your ceiling joists are the horizontal members that frame the ceiling, and the sheetrock is attached to them. Rafters are not typically insulated unless you have a pitched ceiling that follows the pitch of the roof. Ceiling joists are always insulated.

Around here, most ceilings are insulated with blown-in cellulose. It is inexpensive and easily done by a DIY-er. The thickness depends on climate and local requirements. I wouldn't suggest insulating your rafters in too many circumstances.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:27 PM   #7
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Yes, sort of. You're confusing terms here. Your rafters are the sloped members that frame the pitch of the roof. Your ceiling joists are the horizontal members that frame the ceiling, and the sheetrock is attached to them.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
Rafters are not typically insulated unless you have a pitched ceiling that follows the pitch of the roof. Ceiling joists are always insulated.
I actually DO have that on one side of the room, so I will be needing to insulate the rafters there. What is the 'careful' installation method for insulating the rafters?
Old 06-01-2008, 07:54 AM   #8
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

You need to maintain an inch and a half clearance minimum between the bottom of the roof deck and the top of your insulation. That space is for airflow. And you need to be sure you don't block any ventilation from the soffit into the that clearance space, otherwise you'll end up with condensation issues. Without that airspace, moisture will get trapped and will condense and saturate your insulation, damge the ceiling, rot things and generally cause you nightmares. Insulating spaces like that are pretty tough to do in a retrofit. You can't just blow that space full of cellulose fiber or stuff it full of fibreglass. Same with insulating your flat ceilings. Don't put insulation out into the eaves that reaches the roof deck and blocks ventilation from the soffit.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:14 PM   #9
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintenance 6 View Post
You need to maintain an inch and a half clearance minimum between the bottom of the roof deck and the top of your insulation. That space is for airflow. And you need to be sure you don't block any ventilation from the soffit into the that clearance space, otherwise you'll end up with condensation issues. Without that airspace, moisture will get trapped and will condense and saturate your insulation, damge the ceiling, rot things and generally cause you nightmares. Insulating spaces like that are pretty tough to do in a retrofit. You can't just blow that space full of cellulose fiber or stuff it full of fibreglass. Same with insulating your flat ceilings. Don't put insulation out into the eaves that reaches the roof deck and blocks ventilation from the soffit.

Thanks