DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

What type of insulation do I need....

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Alan 
#1 ·
In my rafters and 2x6 exterior walls ?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I do not know what the energy requirements dictate in your region.

2x6 walls will hold R-19 Fiberglass Batt type insulation. If using a spray foam, you can gain greater Thermal efficiency than R-19.

As far as your attic goes, again, that pertains to your regional requirements and method of heating (if in a colder region).

#8 ·
You need to maintain an inch and a half clearance minimum between the bottom of the roof deck and the top of your insulation. That space is for airflow. And you need to be sure you don't block any ventilation from the soffit into the that clearance space, otherwise you'll end up with condensation issues. Without that airspace, moisture will get trapped and will condense and saturate your insulation, damge the ceiling, rot things and generally cause you nightmares. Insulating spaces like that are pretty tough to do in a retrofit. You can't just blow that space full of cellulose fiber or stuff it full of fibreglass. Same with insulating your flat ceilings. Don't put insulation out into the eaves that reaches the roof deck and blocks ventilation from the soffit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.