What Are These? Joists? PIC ATTACHED - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 10

What are these? Joists? PIC ATTACHED

I'm trying to figure out if this wall is load bearing or not. I plan on expanding the window and framing it in simply with 2x4's if its not load bearing, otherwise with some header. Currently, the window has a header, however, with no jack studs. Above the wall there are not joists but some constructed 2x4 support. These supports run perpendicular to the wall with the window. What are they called?
Attached Thumbnails
What are these? Joists? PIC ATTACHED-dsc0008.jpg   What are these? Joists? PIC ATTACHED-dsc00002.jpg  

Advertisement

nave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Building and plumbing

Rewards Points: 150

From the pix it appears to be a curtain wall (non load bearing) because it runs with your floor joists. Had it been load bearing the wall would run 90 degrees to the floor joist. Also the floor is known as clear span floor truss and is not supposed to have a load bearing wall on it. I could almost bet the roof is truss too. They are load bearing on the outer walls only which means if the roof is a truss you could remove all the interior walls without worry.

Advertisement

USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
DIY'er

Thanks for the reply! But I was hoping you could clarify. I haven't looked at the floor joists at all but that pic is in the ceiling above the wall (this wall is the middle level of a 3-story townhome, but with no continuing walls above or below it). I just stuck my camera in the ceiling to take the pic. So the ceiling (which is also the floor of the top level) is clear span truss-style? And, if there are trussts in the ceiling like this then its a good bed that the wall is not load bearing? Even though these clear span trusses do run 90 degrees to the wall, not with it? Just not sure why they would put a header with no jack studs under it if it was load bearing.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
Building and plumbing

Rewards Points: 150

As long as the joists above run in the same direction as the wall and not 90 degrees over the wall you are talking about then its non load bearing. If they run 90 degrees with the wall then there is a chance that it MAY be load bearing. If the joists are clear span truss and run across the wall 90 degrees the its non load bearing as well. The reason for the header is to fasten trim to.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nave View Post
I plan on expanding the window and framing it in simply with 2x4's if its not load bearing, otherwise with some header.

Will you be expanding it in width or height?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #6
DIY'er

expanding the width from about 3ft to 8 ft. and about 6-8 inches upwards, as long as its not load bearing and I don't have to put some header there.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:36 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by nave View Post
expanding the width from about 3ft to 8 ft.
may be a concern
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:31 AM   #8
DIY'er

ok, I hired a contractor to come by an look at it and frame out the wall for me. If load bearing, will do a 2x8 header as wide as we can go. If not, then will stick with the original plan. better safe than sorry. Thanks everyone for responding.

Advertisement