DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Building & Construction (
-   -   What is this sort of roofline modification called? (

revlis_dyi 08-23-2012 11:15 PM

What is this sort of roofline modification called?
1 Attachment(s)
Hi all,

Got a question on what this sort of roofline modification is called so I can look up how it should be properly supported.

Picture should be relatively self-explanatory, essentially wondering if what is being proposed on the "interrupted rafter" is allowed as long as rafter hangers or a ledger board are used on the second lower ridge.

Or is there another way to do this entirely?


NOTE: just realized I drew in rafters past the walls on the gable overhangs. Those will obviously not be there. Outriggers are on 2ft spacing...

revlis_dyi 08-24-2012 03:33 PM


hand drive 08-24-2012 04:11 PM

there will be a gable wall framed under the "red" left rafter so the lower ridge A roof can be framed anywhere along that rafter...

probably just a matter of placing a couple of wall studs in the wall where the ridge is placed and putting a joist hanger against the red rafter to catch the ridge. Ridge will be held up mostly from ceiling joists spanning the room tying the rafters together. wall rafters for the lower room will nail to gable wall as well.

Tham 08-25-2012 10:37 PM

Who designed this? I've never done anything like it. I think you could buy a drop gable and a common truss or two. Shove one up tight for all your ledgering/ backout.
and be done with it.

Life's short,

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.