Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2009, 02:44 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

what slab size relative to thickness ? ? ?

damn'd if i can remember the rule does anyone know the aci recommended slab sizes as the dimensions relate to thickness ? ? ? seem to recall a 20:1 rule of thumb - eg, 4" slab should be no more than 6'8" square,,, mesh or rebar wasn't a factor but also ' as i recall '

thanks, guys !

yesitsconcrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Are you talking about distance before needed crack prevention joints or size before expansion joints? Would not seem right to have a size relate to thickness. A mall floor would have to be 2 feet thick?

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #3

thanks, bobby, yes,,, there's a rule of thumb & i can't recall it 'cause i got too used to reading engineers' plans,,, come to think of it, expansion jnts're really unnecessary in most instances - isolation & contraction, yes,,, how many times do i have to see expansion jnts in sidewalk specs but not in highways, runways, or aprons ? ? ?
Old 03-09-2009, 05:11 PM   #4
Remodeling Contractor

They are there in highways but get filled with backer rod, butyl caulking and then whatever the road surface is. Still not clear as to what your reference is asking about
Old 03-09-2009, 06:53 PM   #5

matter of fact, i started on those very same jnts, mr bob but NEVER butyl caulk,,, either closed cell backer rod & silicone OR heat-resistant rope & hot-applied astm 3405 or 3406 for jet-fuel resistance,,, asphalt got the 3405 or 1190 w/tape for a bond breaker.

let's try this question - IF you were placing a 4" slab, what's the largest dimension you'd wind up with & what backup information would/could you present to the client justifying the slab size ? ? ?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #6

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,066

In a typical slab, you generally do not have expansion joints unless you have street or highway!!! - You have control joints to control where the concrete cracks and can be maintained. Concrete does not expand beyond the lenth it is when it is poured. - The curing shrinkage is greater than the temperature expansion.

Joints between a slab and a structure are used to separate two different types of structures.

The problem occurs when the joints get full of "junk" that prevents the slabs to expand back to where they were. - Complicated by the movement up and down caused by loads (especially by repetitive highway loads). For a patio or a driveway, properly sawed joints that are cleaned and calked withing a month or so of pouring minimize movement, dirt and maintenance.

No matter how thick the slab is, it will shrink during curing the same amount. Rebar and wire mesh will decrease the amount of shrinkage cracking if used properly. Fiber mesh is really only good for micro surface cracking and is subject to the correct plant mixing times and placement.
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

An interesting article on the subject.....

Click Here
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:26 AM   #8
Remodeling Contractor

I used 2-3 times ( in feet) the depth of the slab (in inches) for control joints. I got this from an article I read from concrete network I prefer to use more joints if customer does not complain too much.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:35 AM   #9

in the shadows of my memory seems the thumb rule was 20 x inch thickness express'd in feet / 10 [ 4" x 20 = 80 / 10 = 8 FEET ],,, i gotta start buying those pills they shill on tv ) shoot, didn't even think about conc network & used to advertise on it,,, thanks for the jog, bobby

Last edited by yesitsconcrete; 03-10-2009 at 12:11 PM. Reason: ' to correct an f'n dumb*** mistaken typo
Old 03-10-2009, 08:44 AM   #10
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesitsconcrete View Post
in the shadows of my memory seems the thumb rule was 20 x inch thickness express'd in feet / 10 [ 4" x 20 = 80 / 10 = 8" ],,, i gotta start buying those pills they shill on tv ) shoot, didn't even think about conc network & used to advertise on it,,, thanks for the jog, bobby
Pretty sure you meant FEET ? It's OK... the pills start kicking in fairly quickly.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:50 AM   #11
Remodeling Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
Pretty sure you meant FEET ? It's OK... the pills start kicking in fairly quickly.
Oh.. read this too late.. now I have to many joints.. or was this a problem with someone else
Old 03-10-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
Oh.. read this too late.. now I have to many joints.. or was this a problem with someone else
Hey, I was already heading out the door to chalk off 50 or 60 more lines on my old drive.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #13

thanks for the laugh, guys,,, i was head'd out de door at de time
Old 03-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #14
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,026

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretemasonry View Post
In a typical slab, you generally do not have expansion joints unless you have street or highway!!! - You have control joints to control where the concrete cracks and can be maintained. Concrete does not expand beyond the lenth it is when it is poured. - The curing shrinkage is greater than the temperature expansion.

Joints between a slab and a structure are used to separate two different types of structures.

The problem occurs when the joints get full of "junk" that prevents the slabs to expand back to where they were. - Complicated by the movement up and down caused by loads (especially by repetitive highway loads). For a patio or a driveway, properly sawed joints that are cleaned and calked withing a month or so of pouring minimize movement, dirt and maintenance.

No matter how thick the slab is, it will shrink during curing the same amount. Rebar and wire mesh will decrease the amount of shrinkage cracking if used properly. Fiber mesh is really only good for micro surface cracking and is subject to the correct plant mixing times and placement.

I know this is an older thread, but I had to comment. This is probably the most informative & accurite post I have read on this site.

BTW, I have been taught that the ratio is 24:1, or 4" =8', 5" = 10', etc...
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #15

that's nuttin' you shouldda been here before i lost my memory ! ! ! dick & i usually agree, tho !