What Size Beam To Support Loft With 16' Between Supports - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-06-2009, 04:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What size beam to support loft with 16' between supports

I have a garage with 12' walls and am building a storage loft 8' from the floor. It is 16' wide and the loft will be just under 10' from the back wall.
I am trying to find what size beam is required to support the load. The ceiling for the loft will be short (less than 6' at the peak).
I am planning to use 2*10's for the joists, but have been given conflicting information about what size beam to use.
All three are reputable sources, but this is what I have been told...
1. Use 2- 2*12's with a 1/2" plywood inside as a homemade beam (a local contractor suggested this)
2. Use a 5 1/2*12 Glue-lam beam (the local contractor supply store suggested this - after talking to the glu-lam manufacturer)
3. Use a 6*12 hem/fir beam (the instructor at the local construction academy suggested this)

What are everyone's thoughts here

Thanks for your advice

Advertisement

paperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:20 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,256

The first thing you have to do is define the live and dead loads that you want to design to. For example a lot of residential floors are designed for 40 lb live and 10 lb dead loads. If you are storing light houshold goods you might get by with 30/10 but if you like to do welding and plan on storing a bunch of metal plate and tube up their you'll want to design for much more.

Advertisement

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Ditto the above.

Once you have an idea of how much loading will be on the floor of the loft, do a Google search for "span charts".

They are pretty easy to understand.

Even after all this, I'd recommend seeking out a structural engineer's advice.

Even if your locale doesn't require an engineer's report, they're nice to have for insurance purposes down the road should something go wrong.
meltdowndave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 06:40 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,020

And what total load or pounds per square foot are they figuring for?
Be safe, Gary

Tags
beam loft support