Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #1

Share |

what to replace outdoor cedar siding.

Hi, I need to replace some outdoor cedar siding. The current cedar siding looks like the one in the pic below.

I am tired of taking care of the cedar. I need to find a replacement siding that is low-maintainence, long lasting and looks natural.

Any suggestions?
Attached Images

hohadcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #2

You might look at fiber cement siding. You could probably go right over the cedar since the existing is flat on the wall. I don't know if they make the same style as what you have. Properly painted on all edges, the cement siding holds up very well.
Mike Hawkins

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #3

Innocent question: Isn't fiber cement siding just as difficult to maintain as cedar? Painting and caulking, right?

I think everyone in the universe wants cedar siding without the maintenance. My understanding is that the budget folks use vinyl, and the richer folk use cement board. There's a lot of people who hate vinyl, but IMO it's come a long way and really wins in the budget/maintenance category.
Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 02:41 PM   #4

If fiber cement siding is painted properly, which means primed on all four sides (edges) then first coat of finish pain on all four sides. Siding is installed, butt joints caulked during installation. All other joints caulked (windows, corners, etc.) Finally, one more coat of finish is applied with airless sprayer. Sherwin Williams used to project 25 years before a repaint using this process. Fiber cement doesn't have the moisture problems associated with wood. So the paint doesn't have a tendency to bubble and crack. Last time we did a job like that on a new house, it was 2 1/2 times the cost of vinyl siding.
Mike Hawkins
firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #5

Pull the cedar if using f.c., or the wood will be wet, use another WRB with a drainage gap. It requires 1-1/4" fastener length into the stud, anyway, and hard to detail windows/doors. No caulk at the butt joints, just flashing. IMO, don't paint the primed back face to restrict/trap water draining as it is a reservoir siding. Back ventilate or foamboard for your location. fc017.pdf (application/pdf Object)

Gary
Old 04-25-2013, 09:49 PM   #6

I thought that there is some kind of siding where the paint is dyed into the material.
hohadcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #7
Roofmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohadcr View Post
I thought that there is some kind of siding where the paint is dyed into the material.
Yeah, its called solid Vinyl. Its the most care free siding that you can install, bar none. Anything you paint is going to require maintenance. Cement board is no better than the old asbestos stratolite shingles, Great product, but it required re-painting. A high quality Vinyl Siding will look good for at least 40 years with very minimal attention.

The purists can spend their time painting. Id rather spend mine fishing.

Give the cement board a few years. People will be complaining about it big time. Guar-on-teed

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohadcr View Post
We're having Certainteed Monogram 46 installed right now, but all of the good vinyl now is a solid color with UV protectants and is expected to barely fade over long periods of time. Certainteed says that it will age 'gracefully', which means some fading is inevitable but it will be uniform, not drastic, and the siding will stay attractive. I think the Sears brand, forgetting the name, garauntees it not to move more than 3 shades on their color chart over 50 years.

Siding that needs nothing but a power washing every year or so and is otherwise perfect for 50 years, and it is one of the most inexpensive options is hard to beat.

We had old aluminum siding on the house from 1978, and it had a fake wood texture that looks terrible. The monogram stuff has actual imprints of cedar boards and actually looks hilariously good for being so fake.

Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote