Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #1

Share |

What might cause this?

This situation is puzzling me, and I know I am going to need to get an engineer to look at it, but I thought I would get some opinoins first.
My home is pretty small, 758sq feet. Built in 1948, with a crawl space addition added on a few years later.(This is included in the 758sqf). The orginal part of the home has a basement, with solid roughcut 2" x 7 1/4" (some are 7 1/2") joists, and a 5 1/2 x 5 1/2" supporting beam that has three 6x6" posts supporting it. The joists and beam sit in pockets in the concrete. The house is 2x6 framed, with 2 x ??" slats that support the galvanized steel behind what looks more like a plaster then it does a stucco, as it is peeling off the house. I just started to do some demo work, so I have the basement insulated with 2" of foamboard glued up tight to the conrete, then fibre glass insulation 6" behind a 2x4" framed wall. I have not put vapour barrier up yet, and no drywall either. New furnace was put in with new duct work in 2010, and a new water heater last october, both natural gas.
Now, to the issue. The 5 1/2" x 5 1/2" beam is really starting to split badly, all in the last few months. I have not removed any walls, nor put up any. These aren't your regulat wood splits either, you can see them continuing the length of the beam horizontal. I will post some pictures here in a bit so you can see what I mean.
The only thing I added was a metal roof, but the company said the material was not much more heavy then the shingles that were up there.
I have had the house for just about 6 years, and it's just started happening in the last 4 months.
I can't figure out if its weight load, or seeing as the basement did not have heat running into it before, maybe the wood is drying out.
To me, looks like stress.
I will take measurements and add them with the pics so that I may give a better understanding.

Thanks
-Sean

Seamaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #2

What might cause this?

Welcome to the Forum!

could you post some photos of the splits you've noticed.

"You get what you pay for, and sometimes free costs more!"
GBrackins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
Always learning...

What might cause this?

FYI, when rigid foam is installed on basement walls it's generally considered to be a vapor barrier so you wouldn't want another barrier.
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 06:35 AM   #4

What might cause this?

The horizontal cracking is called checking. It occurs naturally as the wood dries. Lots of it in my log house. Not usually a structural issue.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #5

What might cause this?

Ok. Here are some pics.
Some of the cracks I agree are checks but i am getting cracks above 2 door frames so a little more then just checks.
Also the foam board is 1 1/2" not 2. I made a mistake on that one.
I live in saskatchewan, canada. Our climates here are very cold winters and mild dry summers.
The beam is approx 30 feet.
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2013, 10:59 AM   #6

What might cause this?

Sorry, the pics posted upside down for some reason.

Thanks
Sean.