What Makes High Strength Concrete? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2009, 02:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

What makes high strength concrete?

Quikrete sell concrete mix at 4000psi and 5000psi, what is the difference? Can you just add additional cement to 4000psi concrete mix to make it stronger? And what about hydrated lime, would adding some to the mix make it stronger? Thanks - just curious about what makes concrete stronger, I understand proper curing is very important.

Advertisement

jrepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,178

The strength of concrete is determined by a variety of factors. Probably the most important is the water to cement ratio. In general, the strongest concrete is formed by using the minimum amount of water necessary to hydrate the cement. Unfortunately, low water cement ratio concrete is quite stiff, and hard to work, so generally requires additives to make the concrete more plastic and easier to place and finish.

You cannot arbitrarily make concrete stronger by adding lime or more cement, since the strength is more a function of using the minimum amount of water in the mix. There are some admixtures that intrinsically add strength to concrete, however the most common reason for using an admixture is to allow lower water/cement ratio in the concrete, increasing the strength.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:09 PM   #3
Custom Cabinet Maker

Rewards Points: 500

Spinach
skymaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:41 PM   #4

Location: Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minnesota - Latitude 45.057 Longitude -93.074
Rewards Points: 2,136

Adding cement requires more water, which will give more shrinkage. If you are doing a little patch job, no one will know the difference, since it will always shrink and pull away from the old concrete.

If you really want high strength you start withe right aggregate gradations and plasticizers that will give workability, low water and high strength.

Since are dealing with minimum type of product to start with, you only can add cement and try ways to keep the extra water down. - In other words, you do not pour it, you "place" it and then finish it.

Dick
concretemasonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 10:47 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10
Unhappy

hey everyone..
I have a problem with my design mix of high strength concrete that I have make.. actually I have do so many trial mix for get the high strength concrete and about 3 months I already spend.. but the result is so bad.. I dont know how my design cant achieve the 80Mpa for 28 days.. so bad when I test my cube for 7 day, the result is about 60Mpa++ but after 28 days I get so bad result which 15Mpa++.. i dont know why this happen.. i wanna to cry because i dont have so many time to do it again..

i am really need the help.. everyone who can help me please email me: putri_fiza87@yahoo.com..
Alia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #6
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 2,142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alia View Post
hey everyone..
I have a problem with my design mix of high strength concrete that I have make.. actually I have do so many trial mix for get the high strength concrete and about 3 months I already spend.. but the result is so bad.. I dont know how my design cant achieve the 80Mpa for 28 days.. so bad when I test my cube for 7 day, the result is about 60Mpa++ but after 28 days I get so bad result which 15Mpa++.. i dont know why this happen.. i wanna to cry because i dont have so many time to do it again..

i am really need the help.. everyone who can help me please email me: putri_fiza87@yahoo.com..
The problem you're having is simple, 12,000 psi concrete is nearly impossible to attain...................

Advertisement

jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote