Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2010, 08:02 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

What kind of wallboard do I have?

My house is typical early 60's tri-level (VA). I have become very familiar with my wall board but it is a little confusing as to what exactly it is.

It is approximately 3/4 inch thick. On the back (the side facing the studs) it looks like typical 1/2 inch drywall. It even says "gypsum board" printed on the back. On the outer face (the side facing the room ) it appears to be made up of a 1/2" or so of what appears to be a "rocky" plaster type material. What is this and why do they build the walls with this material?

tripower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
Handyman

That's exactly what is is...gypsum board (aka gyproc). Very heavy which is why, if you notice, the sheets are smaller than 4x8. It was the 'drywall' of the sixties. Chances are, if you tear a wall down, you will also notice metal mesh in the corners. You have to cut all around the ceiling with a sawzall to get a straight cut.

I reno'd my house years ago with the same stuff and when I ripped the walls apart I found that the contractors disposed of all the scrap inside the walls Every single wall had scrap in the cavities almost up to the ceiling! I had to double the size of the disposal bin I had ordered.

canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #3

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
That's exactly what is is...gypsum board (aka gyproc). Very heavy which is why, if you notice, the sheets are smaller than 4x8. It was the 'drywall' of the sixties. Chances are, if you tear a wall down, you will also notice metal mesh in the corners. You have to cut all around the ceiling with a sawzall to get a straight cut.

I reno'd my house years ago with the same stuff and when I ripped the walls apart I found that the contractors disposed of all the scrap inside the walls Every single wall had scrap in the cavities almost up to the ceiling! I had to double the size of the disposal bin I had ordered.
I didn't have the trouble with the scrap but the wire mesh yes I have that. But what is the plaster like material on the outside and why use it? Why not just use the gypsum material like with standard drywall?
Old 06-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #4

I asked this almost exact question like a month ago, the outer coat is a 'scratch' coat which should then have a thin finishing plaster coat on that. The scratch coat provides a better base for the finishing coat and also will be used to lock in the mesh, where this is mesh. At least that is what I have and it sounds like you just described it.
Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:21 PM   #5

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte View Post
I asked this almost exact question like a month ago, the outer coat is a 'scratch' coat which should then have a thin finishing plaster coat on that. The scratch coat provides a better base for the finishing coat and also will be used to lock in the mesh, where this is mesh. At least that is what I have and it sounds like you just described it.
Yes, but is it for insulation or aesthetics?
Old 06-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
Handyman

It was for proper bonding...solid as a rock...literally
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post

that's my place - the long skinny sheets hung horizontally, mesh in the corners, plaster coat on top. I think I once heard somebody refer to it as gypsum lathe? is that correct? The plaster guy was very good - it's still in great shape today (did not gut it all). I did not find too much junk in the walls that I did open up but I did find that, apparently, pounding about 300 4" nails thru a 10 foot length of bottom plate was somehow supposed to compensate for the wall being about 5 deg out of square, or an inch out of plumb...
rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:55 PM   #8

My walls look nice as well but hanging pictures can be a pain.