Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
Just call me Andrew

Rewards Points: 1,000

What kind of door for sunroom?

Some friends of mine have a sunroom off the back of their kitchen. Due to the open framing & number of windows, there is no great way to get insulation in the walls. The room has its own gas fireplace for heat, nothing else.

We want sort of glass door to close off that area but still be able to see in. They would prefer not to have a normal sliding glass door, as it cannot be opened fully. Also, if something could NOT have a track on the floor that would be idea, and t something that would take up as little room as possible when open. So I am thinking some sort of exterior-grade bifold door orsimilar.

Even better would be something (easily) removable for the summer.

Pics are attached, any ideas? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of door for sunroom?-img_4141-800x600-.jpg   What kind of door for sunroom?-img_4142-800x600-.jpg   What kind of door for sunroom?-img_4143-800x600-.jpg   What kind of door for sunroom?-img_4144-800x600-.jpg   What kind of door for sunroom?-img_4145-800x600-.jpg  

secutanudu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,032

My first imprrssion is that I would probably consider some multi-pane or full pane french doors, probably treated with curtains that tied back in the center, but able to be released to fully cover the panes on cold days. The area looks very nice, but just a bit busy, so there will be a trade-off someplace, in regard to which way the doors open, but I think you will find that it may be less resticted with a full size door than with a bi-fold.

DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:10 PM   #3
Just call me Andrew

What about some type of door with tracks that hold it on the wall (above and below the opening, inside the sunroom), instead of the floor. Maybe they could slide left and right? Sort of like one of those automatic doors when you go into walmart....Like...this:
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of door for sunroom?-img_4143-800x600-copy.jpg  

Old 10-07-2011, 03:05 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,032

I don't know what might be available as a packaged unit, but I have seen some very nice installations similar to that, for dens, etc., and since the room appears to be a little bit "rustic", in that the siding is in place and it looks like the walls and ceiling may be paneled and/or stained, you might be able to pull off something with decorative shed type door hardware. I doubt that the big boxes carry what you want, but am certain that you can find it through a lumber yard. As for the doors themselves, maybe you just order slabs with whatever size and window configuration is desired, and go from there. Maybe some sweeps along the top and sides of the jambs, and strip tacked to one of the doors to provide an overlap when both are closed. Just some thoughts.
DexterII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000

Hinged french door, opening out from kitchen.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
Just call me Andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
Hinged french door, opening out from kitchen.
only problem it'd be tough to open them all the way with the tv and couch in the way.

Old 10-07-2011, 09:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
only problem it'd be tough to open them all the way with the tv and couch in the way.
Rearrange the room.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
Just call me Andrew

Do they make french doors that are...split and hinged up the center of each one. So each door would actually be 2 panels that are hinged together, and the whole thing does not run on a track.

Old 10-16-2011, 01:59 PM   #9

They have bifold doors. You can get them in glass. They can be interior or exterior doors. You might need a top track to carry the weight of an exterior door.

Last edited by Ron6519; 10-16-2011 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:47 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
What about some type of door with tracks that hold it on the wall (above and below the opening, inside the sunroom), instead of the floor. Maybe they could slide left and right? Sort of like one of those automatic doors when you go into walmart....Like...this:
I like this idea. You could actually build them as pocket doors if you wanted to (framing out into the porch area) to protect the doors and give it a more finished look.