What Grade Lumber? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-21-2007, 12:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What Grade Lumber?

I am going to start construction on a pergola to provide shade as well as protection from the elements for our outdoor kitchen. It is going to be contructed by 4x and 6x beams and posts. I am having some custom brackets fabricated to carry the 4x8 rafters but can't decide on what type and grade of lumber to go with. The entire structure is going to be painted to coordinate with our house but I still want material that is straight and relatively clear of imperfections. On the other hand cost is an option as well. The materials I need are as follows:

1 - 16' 6x10
3 - 8' 6x6
8 - 14' 4x8

I would like to keep the cost for the materials below $500 and significantly less than that if possible. I was thinking #1 doug fir is probably the way to go but I just want to make sure it looks nice once it's finished. I don't think cedar is necessary since it is going to be painted. Can anyone recommend a species and grade I should go with?

Thanks,

Matt

Advertisement

snmhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 06:56 PM   #2
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

Rewards Points: 250

What Grade Lumber?

IMHO, even if you're on the west coast, it would be a waste of money and to some it would be a travesty to paint Douglas Fir.

Advertisement

crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 11:06 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

What Grade Lumber?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crecore View Post
IMHO, even if you're on the west coast, it would be a waste of money and to some it would be a travesty to paint Douglas Fir.
As far as I am aware Doug Fir is our standard structural lumber here on the west coast. I don't know what I could get that would be less expensive while still being structurally comparable aside from the possibility of engineered lumber. Cedar would be nice but probably twice as much as Doug Fir so that would be a waste. Whatever I get I am going to paint because we want it a specific color to match the house and to help weatherize it. I am certainly open to suggestions on different species of wood but I am not aware of any alternatives that would make sense.

Matt
snmhanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 02:29 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

What Grade Lumber?

Douglas fir is the cheapest here as well. As far as painting it goes, you'd better make sure to prime it well. It is so soft that itreally doesn't weather very well.

Use a good primer and oil based exterior paint. Personally I think it is better stained and sealed. Regardless of how you do it, you'll likely have to touch it up every few years anyway.
Cache is offline   Reply With Quote