Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2005, 06:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What is a " good construction glue " ?

I want to buy some very special door casings, the are plaster pieces 16" long and I can glue the like ceramics on the wall ( drywal )
There will be a joint in between them, because they look like antique, you know from the old Roman Empire.
Has anyone experience with this, what is the best glue to use ?

Here you can get the idea : www.design-daveluy.com

Txs
DIYbuddy

DIYbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 11:15 PM   #2
renovations

Rewards Points: 250

look on page 16 of the installation on the website. "PL Premium, Bulldog Grip, Made by Lepage"

Bonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Txs for the advise, I called them and they were very helpfull. I called exactly on the right moment, they have developed an amazing MARBLE casing and they sold cheap to me because they wanted pictures from their customers and I was the lucky one to call at the right time.
I have received the casings and saw never something like that before.

Check it out : http://www.design-daveluy.com

Txs again
DIYbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:04 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

It's been my experience that the best adhesives for questionable surfaces is the Polyurethane glues. I agree that the Polyurethane based "PL Premium" caulk is definitely among the best choice in this situation. Realize, that the polyurethanes like "Gorilla Glue"(a liquid form) cure with humidity or moisture, like that which emits from your skin. So, I either wear a pair of the vinyl gloves or coat my hands with a shot of Wd-40 before I work with this. The polys will wipe off your hands with laquer thinner or mineral spirits if you get to them immediately before it sets up. Tip:When the caulk version of this adhesive is oozing from the joint(s), I let it set-up for a few hours before removing it with a sharp chisel or utility knife. Ottherwise, this will make a regretable mess. The same holds true with the liquid version, but I tape along both sides(if possible) of the seems before I clamp/glue them together. The liquid stuff will foam out for about an hour. just let it set up before you clean up the joints. Surprisingly, it sands off with minimum effort. Another alternative to polyurethanes would be "Liquid Nails- Heavy Duty", not to be mistaken for the original liquid nails. BTW that "Power Grab" in a caulk tube is totally Lame!

Last edited by RemodelMan; 10-07-2007 at 08:33 AM. Reason: add a web site
RemodelMan is offline   Reply With Quote