Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #1

Share |

What Good Construction Books Do You Recommend?

Hello everyone,

I was hoping that I could get some recommendations for books on construction, so that I can learn how to do things such as, sheathing, roofing, install siding , etc.. My aim is to do some work on a add-on shed that I will be using for a wood shop. I build things out of wood as a hobby, and I know how to use certain tools, but I don't know much about house construction and repair. Any book recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you for your help.

-Mack

Last edited by Mackman; 04-04-2011 at 02:51 PM. Reason: typo error
Mackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #2
old guy contractor

Taunton Press has a lot of great books on construction, design, built-ins, kitchens,baths, storage you name it....

tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 01:30 AM   #3

And there is no shame in hiring a good carpenter, concrete cat, or whatever you are doing, at least long enough to learn what you need to know. Work right there with him/her, and learn. I would also suggest reading till your eyes dry on buildingscience.com, greenbuildingadvisor.com, etc, so that you have the foundation done properly, and know about other "little things" that may creep up on you in 1-10 yrs and kill the job. Fiberglass batt "insulation" (not really) and vapor barriers, to mention two. Good luck; you can't study too much.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:07 AM   #4

I second the Taunton press books. They are very thorough.
williamwiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:23 AM   #5

Hi tcleve4911 & , williamwiens,

I checked Barnes and nobles and Amazon but haven't found the right book yet, But I will keep looking. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklingel View Post
And there is no shame in hiring a good carpenter, concrete cat, or whatever you are doing, at least long enough to learn what you need to know. Work right there with him/her, and learn. I would also suggest reading till your eyes dry on buildingscience.com, greenbuildingadvisor.com, etc, so that you have the foundation done properly, and know about other "little things" that may creep up on you in 1-10 yrs and kill the job. Fiberglass batt "insulation" (not really) and vapor barriers, to mention two. Good luck; you can't study too much.
Hi jklingel;623598,

I'll go to buildingscience.com and read "till my eyes dry" Thanks.
I may hire someone to do the job, but I'm considering doing It myself If I think I can tackle the job. I'm very interested in learning how to do this kind of work. The add on shed has been built for years. I just would like to take out the windows and cover them leaving one intact and reinforce the door frame and install a more secure door and fix a hole in the roof. Below is a link to a photo of the shed. I wonder what It would cost to have a professional do all of this? Thanks you for your help

Covering Shed Windows

-Mack
Old 04-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #6
Lost..

I just built this:

Small Shop / Garage build thread

first thing I have ever done correctly, and I had to books to reference plus here and the internet in general.

Book 1: http://www.amazon.com/Residential-Fr...2008135&sr=1-1

Book 2: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-...2008176&sr=1-2
J S Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by J S Machine View Post
I just built this:

Small Shop / Garage build thread

first thing I have ever done correctly, and I had to books to reference plus here and the internet in general.

Book 1: http://www.amazon.com/Residential-Fr...2008135&sr=1-1

Book 2: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-...2008176&sr=1-2
Hi J S Machine,
Wow, That's really inspiring. I'm going to read the entire thread, and look into those books. Did you install the roll up door for security or to get large tools into the shop? The reason i ask is because the reason i want to cover the windows and install a better door is for security reasons. Thank you.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #8

I actually think the black & decker series of books are pretty good too. at least the couple I have flipped through at the bookstore.
BMS98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #9

I have a number of books in my home library and still use them even with the internet.

Carpentry by Gaspar Lewis
Over 940 pages with good photo examples
ISBN 0-8273-5979-9
Delmar Publishers

Used for those taking Contractors Examination but great for homeowners,too.

I do agree, a good friend who has talent to share is a great tool also. Even if just available by phone.

Measure twice, cut once!

Last edited by thomask; 04-05-2011 at 02:27 PM.
thomask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 02:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMS98 View Post
I actually think the black & decker series of books are pretty good too. at least the couple I have flipped through at the bookstore.
Hi BMS98
Thanks, I'll look into the B&D books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomask View Post
I have a number of books in my home library and still use them even with the internet.

Carpentry by Gaspar Lewis
Over 940 pages with good photo examples
ISBN 0-8273-5979-9
Delmar Publishers

Used for those taking Contractors Examination but great for homeowners,too.

I do agree, a good friend who has talent to share is a great tool also. Even if just available by phone.

Measure twice, cut once!
Hi thomasK,
I wish i did have a friend thats a contractor, but I don't. The gasper Lewis book looks interesting Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mackman For This Useful Post:
thomask (04-05-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 03:01 PM   #11

mackman,

I am a newbie here on this site but after reading many posts I see a number of very well educated/experienced carpenters/craftsman as members.

You have friends on here, all you need to do is not be afraid to ask for help. I am sure you will find many who can give you good ideas and advice.
thomask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 05:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomask View Post
mackman,

I am a newbie here on this site but after reading many posts I see a number of very well educated/experienced carpenters/craftsman as members.

You have friends on here, all you need to do is not be afraid to ask for help. I am sure you will find many who can give you good ideas and advice.
Hi thomask,

Thats good to know. I'm sure I will be asking quite a few questions. Thank you and everyone who helped.

-Mack