Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2008, 08:02 AM   #1

Share |

What to expect in removing a chimney?

This is far off, but if we put in a direct vent water heater it would make the chimney entirely unused.

If we end up doing bedrooms in the attic this would give us a lot more options and furthermore it will add a nice amount of room for a closet in one of the first floor bedrooms.

Not sure about the anatomy of a 1950s chimney, i.e. am I looking to release ridiculous amounts of asbestos into the air?

pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #2

Is this a brick chimney with a fired clay liner? If so, the entire mass should just be masonary. The only thing that might contain asbestos is the furnace cements that seals the flue pipe to the chimney base.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #3
remodeling pro

Should be no great issues, just lots of dust and hard work. Start removing bricks at the top (of course that should be obvious, but I take nothing for granted after some of the things I have seen over the years), and work down. The floor joists, ceiling joists, etc will be headed off around the masonry work, so you will just need to fill in with some short pieces when finished.
Invest in a decent respirator, more efficient and comfortable than those aggravating dust masks, and a couple hundred bucks for a small Bosch or Hilti demo hammer (recommend the Hilti personally) with a couple of chisel blades will make easy work of breaking the mortar joints.
troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote