Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #1
Administrator

Rewards Points: 1,156
Arrow

What Do You Think About The Tiny House Movement?

What do you think of the "tiny house" movement? I have to admit I spend far to much time looking at them and dreaming. One day I would love to build my own on a quiet piece of property out in the country.

How about you? Could you live in a tiny house?

Jay's Tiny House Tour
http://youtu.be/SbRvsWuWNUM

What Is The Tiny House Movement?
http://thetinylife.com/what-is-the-tiny-house-movement/

Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10

Try it out by living in an rv or camp trailet for a year. Twice we have done that while between houses. Once for 17 months and this time for 8 months.

pHredd9mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,176

I think that if you lived in it alone and, like you said, had it out on a quiet, beautiful piece of property it would be alright. Maybe on a lake... in the mountains? I don't know how it would be year-round though.

I love how they put every inch of space to good use.

gma2rjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:25 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,130

I'm pretty much a "minimalist." I could do it, and have if you count several years serving on a submarine. My wife? Never in a million years.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 09:56 PM   #5
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,592

I would love it, I love the outdoors and building one of the tiny homes would be a lot of fun. One thing would be an absolute must for me, I would have to have an end wall up in the loft that I could unlatch or kick out if necessary. I have claustrophobia beyond words and I broke out in a swat just looking at the tiny space in the loft with no escape in case of a fire.

Our home is small compared to most and we like it. Just the two of us now and we could get by on a lot less room. Look at the money that could be saved living in the tiny homes. Build it on wheels and no property taxes.

If you are worried about taxes and license just license the trailer before you start building, that way you have a title and the taxes aren't that much.

A person can only be in one place at any time so why spend all that money heating or cooling a lot of space you aren't in but a little while. Just look at all the vacations and places you could go with all the savings.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:59 PM   #6
Administrator

I prefer spending as many hours outdoors as possible and I really don't get into having a lot of stuff, unless you count computer equipment. I happen to adore camping and always feel a bit sad when it is time to go home. I would love one of these near a lake or river.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cricket For This Useful Post:
BigJim (02-13-2014), Huskee (02-15-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 01:52 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 264

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk
I'm pretty much a "minimalist." I could do it, and have if you count several years serving on a submarine. My wife? Never in a million years.
The silent service eh? I tip my hat to you and others who serve below the waves. I couldn't do that. I need my fresh air, sunshine and green spaces. By the way, thank you for your service.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:47 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,130

You're welcome. You don't know how much we veterans (especially those of us from the Vietnam era), like to hear that. After my 8 years in the Navy and a few as a civilian, I joined the Air Force and ended up retiring after 24 years.

At last year's Mother Earth Fair in Seven Springs, PA, I saw something similar to a tiny house but a lot cheaper. There's a company that converts premanufactured Amish sheds into livable dwellings. These are advertised as camping or hunting cabins but are big enough to live in full time. A completely finished 12x20 unit (including insulation, plumbing,and wiring) was less than $20,000. They aren't designed to be portable like a tiny house, which would be fine with me. Put the thing on a foundation or slab and you've got a permanent man cave. Better than living in an RV, which I've also done for a couple of years at a time. If, God forbid, I happen to outlive my wife, I may just downsize to something like that.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
mj12 (02-14-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 10:50 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 500

Alone and, as others mentioned, in a nice setting, I'd have no problem with it.

With a partner? Never in a million years.

And I like dogs, and I feel like even that would be difficult but workable.
TheBobmanNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 11:39 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post
You're welcome. You don't know how much we veterans (especially those of us from the Vietnam era), like to hear that. After my 8 years in the Navy and a few as a civilian, I joined the Air Force and ended up retiring after 24 years.

At last year's Mother Earth Fair in Seven Springs, PA, I saw something similar to a tiny house but a lot cheaper. There's a company that converts premanufactured Amish sheds into livable dwellings. These are advertised as camping or hunting cabins but are big enough to live in full time. A completely finished 12x20 unit (including insulation, plumbing,and wiring) was less than $20,000. They aren't designed to be portable like a tiny house, which would be fine with me. Put the thing on a foundation or slab and you've got a permanent man cave. Better than living in an RV, which I've also done for a couple of years at a time. If, God forbid, I happen to outlive my wife, I may just downsize to something like that.
I think the biggest reason people build tiny houses on a trailer is related to taxes and zoning issues.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cricket For This Useful Post:
BigJim (02-14-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 11:53 AM   #11
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by md2lgyk View Post

Man, I don't see how in the world you stood it in a sub, I would have gone nuts. I was a hook runner on an aircraft carrier (made sure planes were unhooked after they landed) out in the wide open, just like I like it.

That is a good idea on converting the sheds, another thing some people are doing is buying an enclosed cargo utility trailer or toy hauler and converting them. I really like the idea of the loft bed and the looks of a log/wooden type house though, they just have a cozy feeling to me.

A person could go a step further on the loft deal and in the vaulted area they could install a series of shelves to store things up there out of the way and still look good.

I was watching the video of the tiny home build and one thing right off the bat I noticed something I would have done different. I would have waterproofed the bottom side of the trailer to keep moisture or water out. That is what I did when I built our little teardrop camper.

Jim
Old 02-14-2014, 11:57 AM   #12
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CricketWalker View Post
I think the biggest reason people build tiny houses on a trailer is related to taxes and zoning issues.
If it has wheels you can park it anywhere you want to. If no wheels and you get tired of a location, you have to go to the trouble of having it moved, then more problems of preparing a site for it to sit. There are pros and cons both ways.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Cricket (02-14-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #13
Administrator

This one is a really cool story and includes lots of pictures. She built hers on a flatbed trailer.
http://www.viralnova.com/sick-of-divorce/

Join DIY on Facebook today!
facebook.com/DIYChatroom
The Following User Says Thank You to Cricket For This Useful Post:
gma2rjc (02-15-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #14
Ole Wood Worker

That is just too cool, good for her. I hate that she got hurt building it but am glad she is ok and enjoying her tiny home. I am not much on a contemporary look but it does look good. The more I read about the tiny homes the better I like them.

Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Cricket (02-14-2014)
Old 02-14-2014, 08:54 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 606

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote