Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2011, 07:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

What to do with surface mounted utilities?

I am going to be re-siding my old house, switching from old stained board and batten to part stucco and part fiber cement panels. There are numerous utilities and wires attached to one ocrner of the house. What is standard operating procedure to work with these in place? Will the power company shut off your main power if you ask them, so you can manipulate the feeds and meter box? I am sure this is done all the time. How? Photos attached. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
What to do with surface mounted utilities?-corner-utilities-1.jpg   What to do with surface mounted utilities?-corner-utilities-2.jpg   What to do with surface mounted utilities?-corner-utilities-3.jpg  

tpagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #2

Call the involved utilities to pull the issued items off the wall so it can be resided. You might be without these utilities for a time unless the people involved are very cooperative.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:42 AM   #3
Maryland

We're looking to do the same on our old Victorian, re-siding that is. Our electrician has suggested that the weatherhead and meter could temporarily be mounted to a 4x4 wooden post and then moved back following the siding. We're opting to have the service buried at that point.

Just wanted to say that I love the board and batten siding. Matter of fact, I'm trying to convince the girlfriend that we should go with it vs lap siding. Any particular reason you're changing it?
Pittsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 06:47 AM   #4

Most power companies only have responsibility up to the connection at the top of the mast. After that, it is up to the homeowner. You should get a qualified electrician for this. But many localities allow the live in homeowner to do their own work. CAUTION: you are dealing with a LOT of unfused power at that point, so unless you know what to do, leave it to someone that does.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:51 AM   #5

Pittsville,

Our board and batten is badly split and the stain they used is poorly applied. The construction is poor and there are gaps. I like Board and Batten when it is done well and is clean looking. Ours has rough cut cedar and the craftsmanship is very poor. Also, having a lot of trees around, the current siding has given termites a free lunch for almost 50 years. We treat for them now, but I would rather have a more unappetizing and impervious covering. Stucco and fiber cement will look better on this house than board and batten.
Old 05-27-2011, 01:19 PM   #6

Cool. Electrical company said that they would remove the power feed temporarily while people re-side their houses.