What Do I Need To Know About My Floor System To Know If It Will Support A Tub? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2013, 04:04 PM   #1
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

What do I need to know about my floor system to know if it will support a tub?

For example, if the tub installation guide says :
SuPPort
The floor must be strong enough to support
50 lb./sq. ft.

What does it mean in terms of the structure itself?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
Residential Designer

Rewards Points: 552
Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

For many years now most rooms other than bedrooms have been required by code to support 40 lb. "live loads" and 5-10 lbs. of "dead load" per sq. ft.
More that likely your existing joists are designed to handle these loads, though you have not said what the present joists sizes and spans are and I do not expect that you could know this.
In all probability you will be fine in installing a normal sized tub.

Andy.

Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
For many years now most rooms other than bedrooms have been required by code to support 40 lb. "live loads" and 5-10 lbs. of "dead load" per sq. ft.
More that likely your existing joists are designed to handle these loads, though you have not said what the present joists sizes and spans are and I do not expect that you could know this.
In all probability you will be fine in installing a normal sized tub.

Andy.
I do know that the rooms above the kitchen are supported by 2x10 16" O.C. that span 11 FT bearing on an exterior wall and a center wall most of the length of the house. The wall ends at the living room, however which sits underneath where the tub would be, and unless there's a beam in there somewhere that the joists are hung on, or perhaps change direction, the span could be double that. The floor doesn't seem excessively bouncy so who knows.

Can i stiffen the area up by Framing a floor system where the tub would sit where the joists in the new floor system sit perpendicular to the existing floor system effectively transferring the load over several floor joists at one time instead of just sitting over a single joist and subfloor?
Old 01-05-2013, 07:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 576

Joist spans have some deflection built in, but this is a problem when tiling over the tub. If floor sags too much when the tub is full, the material between the wall and the tub can separate/crack. This is why they say caulk when tub is full.
Joists can also be not! 16" on center when under the tub, because certain accommodations were made for the plumbing. If you are installing a bigger tub, I would recommend doubling up the joists underneath, or at least visually check that there is no inadequate framing.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote