Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #16
Civil Engineer
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,144
Share |
Default

What do I do with rotting deck supports?


You may want to take a step back and define your objective. If your goal is to reconstruct the deck in a code compliant manner, you likely have many issues to deal with, including how the ledger is attached to the house, size of joists and beams, posts etc. If you are interested in the narrow objective of fixing just the small rotten area, my recommendation would be to sister a joist against it. This will not address the larger issue of the condition of the deck, but will certainly adequately address the relatively minor issue you mentioned.

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 09:32 AM   #17
Member
 
JetSwet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Lagrangeville NY
Posts: 954
Default

What do I do with rotting deck supports?


It doest look like the joist goes inside the home, just attached to the ledger so replacing that 2x10 should be easy by taking the joist hangers off prying the joist out, removing nails on floor planks and installing new joist.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:00 PM   #18
Member
 
robertcdf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 655
Default

What do I do with rotting deck supports?


We tear down decks that look like that all the time, the frame is rotted beyond repair, replace the entire deck. This time use materials that won't fail at a later date and you won't have to worry about it again. PT lumber is an ok product and will kind of suit your needs, certainly better than what you have. Steel is the best option because you gain so many more advantages.
Attached Thumbnails
What do I do with rotting deck supports?-steel.jpg  
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:46 PM   #19
Mod
 
kwikfishron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kansas (NCK)
Posts: 7,211
Default

What do I do with rotting deck supports?


Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcdf View Post
Steel is the best option
That steel wouldn't last two years near the Coast, galvanized or not.
__________________
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
Especially In The DIY Chatroom
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #20
Member
 
robertcdf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 655
Default

What do I do with rotting deck supports?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
That steel wouldn't last two years near the Coast, galvanized or not.
Well we dont know where the OP is from do we? So it has a very good chance of being a viable option.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:53 PM   #21
Mod
 
kwikfishron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kansas (NCK)
Posts: 7,211
Default

What do I do with rotting deck supports?


Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcdf View Post
Well we dont know where the OP is from do we?
My point exactly.
__________________
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
Especially In The DIY Chatroom
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #22
Member
 
robertcdf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 655
Default

What do I do with rotting deck supports?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
That steel wouldn't last two years near the Coast, galvanized or not.
BTW you're wrong about 2 years. http://www.steelsmartdeck.com/LifeSpan.aspx

http://www.steelframing.org/PDF/architects/RP06-1.pdf

So your opinions are pointless since they can be refuted by REAL studies not just opinions.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:59 PM   #23
Member
 
robertcdf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 655
Default

What do I do with rotting deck supports?


In case some of you don't want to read through the entire thing... The SHORTEST life expectancy when exposed to air in NJ near the ocean is 369 years... A far cry from 2 years as some people feel.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:27 PM   #24
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 16
Default

What do I do with rotting deck supports?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
You may want to take a step back and define your objective. If your goal is to reconstruct the deck in a code compliant manner, you likely have many issues to deal with, including how the ledger is attached to the house, size of joists and beams, posts etc. If you are interested in the narrow objective of fixing just the small rotten area, my recommendation would be to sister a joist against it. This will not address the larger issue of the condition of the deck, but will certainly adequately address the relatively minor issue you mentioned.
I am perfectly aware that the deck is nearing the end of its life and that the railing is not up to code. However, between the expense of replacing it, and having had the last contractor at the house do an awful job AND steal heirloom jewelry, I'm going to do what I can to make it last.

Sistering the joist and repainting seems like the best for me until I get the courage to try to hire someone again. Thank you.
green.willow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 03:32 PM   #25
Mod
 
kwikfishron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kansas (NCK)
Posts: 7,211
Default

What do I do with rotting deck supports?


Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcdf View Post
your opinions are pointless since they can be refuted by REAL studies not just opinions.
Here’s a study for you. A Simpson galvanized joist hanger can turn to dust in just a few years on the OR/WA Coast. My cats paw being the source of that study many hundreds of times.

I can’t speak about the East Coast but out West where the weather actually come in off the Ocean that steel you show is junk.

The only chance a steel deck joist would survive the Coastal Pac. NW is if all penetrations were pre-drilled and then the steel was then sent to the galvanizer to be dipped and the coating remained undisturbed during and after installation. Even then the joist certainly wouldn’t last the hundreds of years your link claims.
__________________
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
Especially In The DIY Chatroom

Last edited by kwikfishron; 06-30-2012 at 04:00 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #26
Member
 
robertcdf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 655
Default

What do I do with rotting deck supports?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Here’s a study for you. A Simpson galvanized joist hanger can turn to dust in just a few years on the OR/WA Coast. My cats paw being the source of that study many hundreds of times.

I can’t speak about the East Coast but out West where the weather actually come in off the Ocean that steel you show is junk.

The only chance a steel deck joist would survive the Coastal Pac. NW is if all penetrations were pre-drilled and then the steel was then sent to the galvanizer to be dipped and the coating remained undisturbed during and after installation. Even then the joist certainly wouldn’t last the hundreds of years your link claims.
Take it up with the NAHB (national association of home builders) not a small organization. They are the ones who were part of the test. I would be interested to know which exact hardware failed and what else it was in contact with. Some of Simpson's stuff only has g60 applied to it, it's easy to get g185.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:19 PM   #27
Member
 
robertcdf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 655
Default

What do I do with rotting deck supports?


Hey Ron, I assume you use EXCLUSIVELY stainless steel correct? Just trying to get a good feel for where you are coming from.

Thanks
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #28
Mod
 
kwikfishron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kansas (NCK)
Posts: 7,211
Default

What do I do with rotting deck supports?


Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcdf View Post
Hey Ron, I assume you use EXCLUSIVELY stainless steel correct?
Within 10 miles of the Ocean I do.

True HD galvanized does hold up ok if the coating is never breached and you’re even just a few blocks off the Ocean.
__________________
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
Especially In The DIY Chatroom
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 05:49 PM   #29
Member
 
robertcdf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado
Posts: 655
Default

What do I do with rotting deck supports?


Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Within 10 miles of the Ocean I do.

True HD galvanized does hold up ok if the coating is never breached and you’re even just a few blocks off the Ocean.
Are you talking about zmax? I've never seen hangers in anything other than zmax or ss. Zmax is g185 and I can order joists in that same coating.
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 06:49 PM   #30
Mod
 
kwikfishron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kansas (NCK)
Posts: 7,211
Default

What do I do with rotting deck supports?


Zmax is what the local yard (Pro build) stocks along with SS. A 2x6 Zmax hanger is about a buck, in SS it’s about $8.

The thing with the Oregon Coast anyway is that even with a Zmax hanger, if it’s on a front row house you “will” have to replace the them within 5 years. At the 5 year mark they will likely come apart in pieces.

Just a few blocks off the Ocean it may take 7-10 years to see the same level of corrosion.

A couple of miles in it will take even longer yet but you’ll likely still see some surface rust after the first year.

As we both know what works in one place can be a Train Wreck somewhere else.

Id be curios on what BuiltByMac's views are on steel deck joist in his area. Even though he’s about 80mi inland from my costal location his area is still almost as wet (minus the salt).

__________________
A Picture Is Worth A Thousand Words
Especially In The DIY Chatroom

Last edited by kwikfishron; 06-30-2012 at 07:11 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Deck Staining Nightmare steven994 Painting 6 04-06-2014 09:10 PM
Pergola over existing deck cpfullback Building & Construction 0 08-04-2011 11:36 AM
Deck post supports?? Mandy204 Building & Construction 2 06-09-2010 11:00 PM
Building a new deck....and creative uses of granite scrap in outdoor living space Rhizzlebop Building & Construction 9 05-15-2009 11:17 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.