Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2009, 04:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

What do I do about water at the rim joist?

Here are some photos of my rim joist with what looks to be the black mold....on the other side of this is my porch (poured concrete - @6'X18'). How in the world can I stop this from happening in the future as I'm just now starting to finish my basement???
Attached Thumbnails
What do I do about water at the rim joist?-01-31-09_black-mold-rim-joist-beneath-porch_0001.jpg   What do I do about water at the rim joist?-01-31-09_black-mold-rim-joist-beneath-porch_0002.jpg   What do I do about water at the rim joist?-01-31-09_black-mold-rim-joist-beneath-porch_0003.jpg  

shuship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:47 PM   #2

Water is obviously weeping between your porch and your rim joist. When pouring against the rim, I always make people install a sheet of galvanized flashing.

The only way to ensure that this won't continue is to fix the water problem, which very possibly will require destructive measures at the porch. Caulk won't do it. The whole system has to shed water.

The house looks new. If it is, I'd be calling my builder. They screwed up.

Can you take pics from the outside and post them?

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 05:48 PM   #3

Also, do I see water infiltrating at the corner of the block foundation?
Old 01-31-2009, 06:01 PM   #4

(thanks for the move). Yes, it is fairly new (6 yrs old). Are you looking for more of an upclose pic (flashing where concrete meets up) or grading?
Old 01-31-2009, 06:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekctermite View Post
Also, do I see water infiltrating at the corner of the block foundation?
Garage leaking into basement

Yes sir, I opened another post about this issue as well. batting one-thousand here boss...
Old 01-31-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

Show some photos of the outside of the porch. and outside where the corner of the foundation is leaking in. BOB.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:13 PM   #7

This is the best I currently have for the front porch. Its dark out and not sure how well they will turn out otherwise. The corner foundation I'm certain is leaking from inside the garage. Will post a pic on that shortly. thanks for looking at these.
I dont think Im as concerned about the corner of the foundation leak as I am about the rim joist. The corner foundation seems like an easier fix (unless I'm wayyyy off base).
Attached Thumbnails
What do I do about water at the rim joist?-front-porch.jpg  

Last edited by shuship; 01-31-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 06:21 PM   #8

Here is where I think the leak is coming from.
Attached Thumbnails
What do I do about water at the rim joist?-01-31-09_garage-floor-leak_0005.jpg   What do I do about water at the rim joist?-01-31-09_garage-floor-leak_0004.jpg  
Old 01-31-2009, 07:33 PM   #9
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT

A picture of the front porch butting against the house would be great when you can.
as far as the garage floor, that water, is it coming from drippings from the car? or is it blowing under the door when it rains. that expansion joint should be addressed. and if you could show a picture of the front corner of the garage where the basement wall is damp. Thanks BOB.
buletbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 07:41 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
A picture of the front porch butting against the house would be great when you can.
as far as the garage floor, that water, is it coming from drippings from the car? or is it blowing under the door when it rains. that expansion joint should be addressed. and if you could show a picture of the front corner of the garage where the basement wall is damp. Thanks BOB.
The water is coming from drippings from the car (lovely Ohio weather) which it was I believe is creating the corner foundation leak. how would I remedy the expansion joint issue? Masonry caulk? and should I go ahead and caulk the joint between the pad and top of the block wall as well?

Last edited by shuship; 01-31-2009 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:48 PM   #11

The name of the stuff escapes me but there is a highly flexible (butyl?) caulk that is intended for concrete joints. Packing the gap with that or even hydraulic cement would help seal it up.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:49 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by buletbob View Post
I have two places (panels where I've removed the fiber batting) on this side (West) of the house that I have found where the mold is present on the sill plates. One would put in pretty much dead center below the left window pane (see post #7) and the other (pic that started the thread) would put it directly below the house numbers (again - post #7). I have yet to look anywhere else and honestly, I'm a bit apprehensive to now. I've spoken with a few people (just other homeowners - not folks in the industry and used to these things such as you all are) and they all say "its bound to happen at some point". "A little bit of mold is OK." I, for one, do not like those answers, and don't plan on settling for those unless I find out otherwise by more (way more) qualified individuals like yourselves.
My wife is 5 months pregnant with our first child and I'm not taking any risks here. We built (Dominion) this house in '03 and will prob stay here for quite some time as we enjoy the area and are in a great school system.
Just went down and checked and the temp is still holding at 59 deg F but the RH has risen to 37%. Prob due to the thaw we are slowly under as the outside temp is up to almost 40 today. Thank you all again for the advice.
Attached Thumbnails
What do I do about water at the rim joist?-02-01-09_front-porch_0002.jpg   What do I do about water at the rim joist?-02-01-09_front-porch_0001.jpg   What do I do about water at the rim joist?-02-01-09_front-porch_0003.jpg  

Last edited by shuship; 02-01-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #13

Is the sill plate on top of the blocks treated lumber? It didn't look like it in the first picture and I believe it should be.

Gary
Gary_602z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 01:29 PM   #14

No, nowhere whatsoever around the entire perimeter of the sill plate is there PT lumber in use. Should that matter with there being the meager foam strip in use?
Old 02-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #15

It looks to me like you just have condensation building up on the inside of the rim joist. Hot moist air from the basement hitting the cold rim joist. The huge mass of concrete keeping the rim joist cold doesn't help either. You need to make sure you have adequate flashing on the exterior between the concrete and the rim joist/framing. Concrete is like a giant sponge and will transfer moisture to the framing. I would suggest a dehumidifier in the basement until warmer weather where you won't have the condensation building up. Then spray it with a good mildew remover...I always just use bleach and water. After it dries cut 2" thick foam blocks to fit tightly between the joists against the rim joist. Seal around the block with a can of spray foam. The other option is just buying a spray foam kit. That should solve your problem.

Josh Jaros

jaros bros. is offline   Reply With Quote