Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-11-2007, 01:49 PM   #1

Share |

What do I cover the outside basement block with?

I am a pretty new homeowner so I am learning as I go. One of the things I need to do is to replace the aging "stuff" that is covering the basement block that is exposed on the outside of my house.

My property is not totally flat, so about 50% of my basement wall is exposed for a height of about a foot or so. Right now it is covered with some sort material, which I am looking to put a name on. It isn't quite stucko, and it isn't quite cement, so I am not sure exactly what it is. (it is painted also if that matters). However it is crumbling away exposing some of the block, so I would like to remove all the remaining stuff and apply a fresh coat to the block.

Can anyone point me in the correct direction or give me a name for this stuff so I know what I am looking for when I venutre into home depot. I know I can ask them there, but the home depot by me kinda sucks in that everyones answer to questions seems to be "This isn't my department". I like to be armed with some knowledge when I go in there.

Thanks!
Matt

kleinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 03:01 PM   #2

On my house it has "sand mix", basically sack-crete with no stones. Mason's mortar mix, available in a couple of different textures is also a possibility (finer textures usually). It might even be plain paint or primer with masons sand mixed in (this will be pretty thin - 1/8" or less. Don't count on being able to remove it all easily - the darn stuff sticks way too good in some places. The wrong material to patch will look like heck, so experiment on a loose block or even plywood scraps. Even if you have to buy a full bag of every texture and a few new blocks, the experiment will only cost about 50 bucks, but likely you can talk a supplier out of a coffe can full from a broken sack and maybe some broken blocks.

rogersor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersor View Post
On my house it has "sand mix", basically sack-crete with no stones. Mason's mortar mix, available in a couple of different textures is also a possibility (finer textures usually). It might even be plain paint or primer with masons sand mixed in (this will be pretty thin - 1/8" or less. Don't count on being able to remove it all easily - the darn stuff sticks way too good in some places. The wrong material to patch will look like heck, so experiment on a loose block or even plywood scraps. Even if you have to buy a full bag of every texture and a few new blocks, the experiment will only cost about 50 bucks, but likely you can talk a supplier out of a coffe can full from a broken sack and maybe some broken blocks.
Hey thanks for the response man. It is pretty thin from what I can tell. So it may be as you said some paint mixed with the masons sand in it.

I would say at least 50-75% is flaking heavily, (house was built in the 1920s.. no clue how long this stuff has actually been on the house) and will likely come totally off. If there is any that has actually stood the test of time and wont come off, I would imaging I could just leave it and maybe apply a thin coat over it, making sure everything is flush on the wall? I plan to paint it when I am done also. I do have a few loose blocks I can test on before applying to the house.

Do you know what type of tools I would need for this job? Obviously I need something to apply it, and I guess something for mixing and such.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #4
Extreme DIY'r Adk's, NY

never heard of this, sounds shady. where r u located? Try Block Bond... Quikrete or Chargar
crecore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by crecore View Post
never heard of this, sounds shady. where r u located? Try Block Bond... Quikrete or Chargar
Northern NJ, I will take some pics in day light and post them so you can get a good idea instead of me describing.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:32 PM   #6

It sounds like a coating of Thorocrete, which sort of looks like sand and paint. A stucco coating on block should be at least 1/8"-1/4" thick.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:57 PM   #7

Could it be some kind of sure-wall?? Specially if the blocks or whatever was dirty and not cleaned real well, then some sticks, some dont!!

What happens when you take a stiff wire brush to the stuff,,,it ALL falls off or 50% still stuck?? Or a pressure washer?? These things can be a real pita cause they keep flaking underneath!!
justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 01:01 PM   #8

ok here are some pics. Sorry it took so long to post them, and also thanks to everyone who has posted here so far!

Old 10-12-2007, 04:55 PM   #9

any one have any thoughts based on the pictures I posted?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:51 PM   #10

This looks like a mortar mix over the block. More cosmetic then structural. Scrape off the loose stuff and decide if you have the skills to parge the depressions or need to hire someone to do it. The other choice is to paint over the rough surface.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote