What To Do About A Garage Slab At/below Grade - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

What to do about a garage slab at/below grade

About to start residing a garage that currently has heavily rotted wood siding directly over studs. Plan is to remove wood, cover in 4x8 sheathing, then vinyl side it. Problem is at the footers; on the sides the slab is even with the grade but on the back wall the slab is a few inches below grade and the footer is completely rotted out. This is in the city and the back wall is 3' to the fence / property line and the entire area is at that level... including the neighbor's yard. If I try to start digging it out around the garage I don't know where to stop. How do you work with this? How do you start the starter strip?

Had a thought to cover the lower foot with 6mil plastic, start with a piece of hardi siding 2" below the footer height to however high it takes me (12"-ish?), then vinyl up from there. Other thoughts?

Thanks all

Advertisement

moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,468

Consider cutting supporting the wall and cutting the bottom off 10" up and inserting concrete block. Code requires the wood to be at least 8" above soil.

Very minimum is to use pressure treated materials, 2x and plywood.

Advertisement

Old 06-15-2011, 11:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Thanks JoeD, great idea on the block, might be a much larger project than I expected that way. Everything we add will certainly be PT. 8" above soil? It makes 100% sense but they must have added that after the 50's when all these houses were build around here!
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote