Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 522

What could these vents be???

My house is 30 years old; I have owned it for 20 years.

Today we had a bunch of dead wasps in the basement. Trying to figure out what was going on, I noticed (yeah, for the first time after living there 20 year; not too observant...) two ducts on the exterior wall going into the walkout basement between the joists. They are about 6" x 12" with a coarse screen over them, about 3' apart. Moving some drop ceiling tiles aside, I see that there is about 6" of steel duct coming in, all stuffed with fiberglass insulation.

They are about 10' from the water heater and furnace, but I don't see how they could be connected. What on earth could they be?

Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,002

where is your furnace.... and perhaps do you have a newer 90+ furnace with PVC pipe.... these might have been supplying combustion air for a conventional furnace

CarpenterSFO (06-23-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,028

Pictures and a better explanation of where they're coming/going?
wkearney99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 522

The vents are in the outside wall of the walkout basement, right at the height of the joist cavities. They do not go anywhere; they are cut off a few inches into the house and filled with fiberglass insulation.

I figured they might somehow connect with the furnace, but the furnace is 10' from the wall, roughly opposite the vents. However the house had the original furnace when I bought it, and the vents had no function with reaspect to the furnace. They had no function at all, as they were just stubs full of insulation.

Now... this is pure speculation, but I think maybe a bedroom and bathroom were added after the house was built (though it is not clear how they hooked the drains into the sewer, as it is all done in the foundation), and the rooms come between the furnace and the vents. Maybe there was origionally furnace room connected to the outside with ducts to these vents, but the ducts and the furnace room were removed whan bedroom and bathroom per put in. I don't have any confidence in this explanation, but it is all I can come up with.
Toller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:20 AM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller View Post
The vents are in the outside wall of the walkout basement, right at the height of the joist cavities. They do not go anywhere; they are cut off a few inches into the house and filled with fiberglass insulation.

I figured they might somehow connect with the furnace, but the furnace is 10' from the wall, roughly opposite the vents. However the house had the original furnace when I bought it, and the vents had no function with reaspect to the furnace. They had no function at all, as they were just stubs full of insulation.

Now... this is pure speculation, but I think maybe a bedroom and bathroom were added after the house was built (though it is not clear how they hooked the drains into the sewer, as it is all done in the foundation), and the rooms come between the furnace and the vents. Maybe there was origionally furnace room connected to the outside with ducts to these vents, but the ducts and the furnace room were removed whan bedroom and bathroom per put in. I don't have any confidence in this explanation, but it is all I can come up with.
Toller... They still might have been introducing sufficient combustion air into the furnace room.

They would not have been connected to a conventiional furnace. If done correctly, one would have terminated high in the room, one low in the room... to promote good air supply/ circulation.

Someone might have just stubbed them off and shoved insulation in them, which could be NOW a combustion air deficiency problem.

The calcs for combustion air are complicated/ function of room size/ furnace demand/ passage ways and vents. The internet ought to have them somewhere. You probably ought to check.

Best

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 06-25-2013 at 07:14 AM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,028

Pictures.

Either that or pay a local HVAC tech to come take a look at it.

wkearney99 is online now   Reply With Quote