Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #1

Share |

What is the correct way to open a pad foundation?

I have a condo the building is 2 story with a pad foundation, Since the pad needs to be opened up to find the leaking pipe under it which belongs to another unit. What is the correct way for opening the concrete pad foundation? I don't believe it should be jack hammered by the contractor, I was told it should be cut. I'd like to confirm this. I was also told that jack hammering would ruin the structure. Is this true & how can I confirm that?

dbcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 02:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbcooper View Post
I have a condo the building is 2 story with a pad foundation, Since the pad needs to be opened up to find the leaking pipe under it which belongs to another unit. What is the correct way for opening the concrete pad foundation? I don't believe it should be jack hammered by the contractor, I was told it should be cut. I'd like to confirm this. I was also told that jack hammering would ruin the structure. Is this true & how can I confirm that?
If the jack hammering of the slab ruins the structure, you should not be living in the building.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
AndyGump (05-05-2011)
Old 05-05-2011, 04:05 PM   #3

As long as the area of interest is known, the cleanest way would be to use a concrete saw and cut the outline first, then use a jackhammer (or sledge) and break out the cut section. Just straight jackhammering could lead to cracks in areas you did not intend. As far as ruining the structure, the person might be concerned that you have a tensioned concrete slab. If you do, it will take A LOT of investigating, planning and careful work, to not cause damage to the structure and/or workers, and will most certainly involve a structural engineer. It is not too common in single family dwellings, but for multi-unit buildings, it could be. I would find out before breaking ground.

If this is a water supply pipe, any chance it would be easier to abandon in place a reroute through walls/ceiling?

Good Luck!
FixitDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

Quote:
Originally Posted by FixitDragon View Post
As long as the area of interest is known, the cleanest way would be to use a concrete saw and cut the outline first, then use a jackhammer (or sledge) and break out the cut section. Just straight jackhammering could lead to cracks in areas you did not intend. As far as ruining the structure, the person might be concerned that you have a tensioned concrete slab. If you do, it will take A LOT of investigating, planning and careful work, to not cause damage to the structure and/or workers, and will most certainly involve a structural engineer. It is not too common in single family dwellings, but for multi-unit buildings, it could be. I would find out before breaking ground.

If this is a water supply pipe, any chance it would be easier to abandon in place a reroute through walls/ceiling?

Good Luck!
Excellent question about the possibility of a tensioned slab
To the OP, look for embossed lettering in the garage, usually the floor, to see if anything tells of a post and/or pre-tensioned slab.

Andy.
AndyGump is online now   Reply With Quote