What Was The Composite Decking Conclusion? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-24-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
New House Newbie

Rewards Points: 85

What was the composite decking conclusion?

I am feeling kind of motivated and might tackle a front porch on my house this weekend. It has an overhang over the entire porch. I stopped by Menards today and still interested in composite decking because of the hidden fasteners and the "matainence free" claim. Anyone have experience with Ultradeck? What kind of matainence is involved in this "matainence free" material?

Any suggestions on what to use and what not to, I am all ears.

Thanks

p.s I would use the redwood color as I have red brick on the front of my house, if that matters for any material comparisons.

Advertisement

C_J_GO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

What was the composite decking conclusion?

I don't get the relevance of hidden fasteners, you can use hidden fasteners with any kind of deck, including wood, aluminum, composite etc. As for maintenance free, well I think that most of the manufacturers stopped making the claim that composite was "maintenance free" several years ago, now they say "low maintenance", whatever that means. If you think you can put in composite and it will clean itself, remove mold spores, and keep itself looking new, I doubt it.

Advertisement

Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote