Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-03-2011, 09:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

What is the cheapest way to buy casing and baseboard?

I'm looking to put new casing and baseboard in my house and am wondering who to buy it from to get the best price? I'm assuming a place like Home Depot or Lowes is going to be way more expencive than other places. I have seen people get random lengths, is that the way to go?

tsg234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsg234 View Post
I'm looking to put new casing and baseboard in my house and am wondering who to buy it from to get the best price? I'm assuming a place like Home Depot or Lowes is going to be way more expencive than other places. I have seen people get random lengths, is that the way to go?
are you going to stain or just paint....if just painting lowes contractor packs are reasonable 12'goods 96' per pack...

ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #3

I moved to columbus , oh last year and started working on the house. I found a millwork place locally, well about 22 miles away. I went and picked up samples and when I called to order it was only 25.00 dollar delivery charge for a ton of trim and 3 4x8 sheets. It was also all 16 foot lengths of material which saves on having to piece as much. the price was also much cheaper (even with the delivery charge) than home depot and they delivered right to my garage. If you are painting it go with MDF, you get a much better finish, its preprimed, and it bends to follow the walls and floor much easier than wood does and no splinters either.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #4
journeyman carpenter

Rewards Points: 6

typically when getting trim at lower prices will involve two things.. lower qaulity trim or major buying power.. ive run tons of trim and both the things i mentioned are typically big factors... the trim at the big box store is mass produced and the quality of the profile goes way down.. when you cut mitres the profile doesnt match up from one peice to the next..

the other thing is big time builders who are buyin 100's of 1000's of feet of trim will get a much better price.

your best bet is to check with a supplier that deals in trim specifically, they mill it and sell it themself. they will give you a better price if your buying a house lot of it, casing, baseboard,1/4, chair rail crown.. as for quality.. the mdf trim that is very light weight isnt very durable it consists of more resin than wood.. yes it takes paint well however its much more prone to flaking if it gets hit. higher quality mdf trim will have more sawdust and glue in it than resin, its basically the exact same quality mdf as used in 4x8 sheets. this is the type i work with 90% of the time working on high end homes
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #5
old guy contractor

Put together a trim package.
Contact your local lumber yard...not slowes or homeboy.

Just ask them for a contractor's discount.
You may have to open an account...not a bad thing
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
mem

Hey DannyT, how about spilling the beans on the millwork shop you found. I also live in Central Ohio and am always looking for new, good material sources. Post or PM me please!
mem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:14 PM   #7

most lumber yards have a clearnce or return special order items that get returned wrong color wrong style so on.you usually can pick these up cheap. ask the floor person were these items are, and go ahead look around they only want to sell you new in the box if on commision. be a treasure hunter the deals are in all stores.
cowboysteve43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:19 PM   #8

the place is capital city millwork, 173 heatherdown drive , westerville, oh 614-939-0670 . its on the northeast side of columbus. I used the lightweight mdf crown and all mdf trim. it sure beat trying to haul long pieces from home depot. the 2 sheets of mdf i ordered were 28.00 dollars a sheet compared to home depot's 34.00 dollars a sheet. we had only been here a few months and they were the first place i found.

Last edited by DannyT; 12-04-2011 at 12:23 PM.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyT For This Useful Post:
mem (12-04-2011)
Old 12-05-2011, 10:11 AM   #9

Building Materials Outlet in Eagan, MN is the way to go. You just have to dig through stacks and stacks of it but that is where I get all my millwork.

B

Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baseboard, casing, trim