Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2011, 11:51 AM   #1

Share |

What can you do to a Cinder Block wall?

I am living in a fraternity house that has been around since the 80's so it was built entirely of cinder block. The blocks are still in good shape although the paint is fading. The front of the house has recently been re-done in almost a ski-lodge themed front, however the back of the house's exterior is plain cinder block. Is there anyway you can attach/mount wood panels to a cinder block wall and if not what are some other "cover ups" you can apply to cinder block to make it look better such as stucco?
PTE8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
I ask the impossible!

Knee-jerk reaction:

HEY KOOL-AID!

The issues to bear in mind with building a wall over it are that concrete blocks can hold moisture. So there are folks with more experience than I who can say how best to handle that.
Please do NOT consider any "before" picture of my house as any kind of endorsement of any particular construction method. In fact, you should probably assume that if I post a "before" picture, I am posting it because I am soliciting advice on a proper replacement for one of MANY things done wrong by a previous owner.
WillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #3

Never fer out a block wall for wood on a out side exposure.the whole project will become a termite,ant,spider,moisture,mold,and other bugs that have condo's between block and wood.just pressure wash block wall very clean,let dry completly.You might be able to rent a hopper gun,1.5 gal capacity +- hand held.You will also need an air compressor at least 80psi.Home depot,Lowes,has stucco color,stucco mix.Just make sure the mix will go through a hopper gun.Tell them what your doing.If thats all good,mix the color from HD or lowes with stucco mix as fluid as needed for a stipple finish, about like syrup.You won't need to trowel it.It will leave smooth bumps all over.Do a small section first,get the hang of the trigger on hopper gun,right pressure,the look your after,You can always remove the test areas easy.good luck. Ken

We all no alot but can only do a little-----an.
kchunt is offline   Reply With Quote