Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #1

Share |

What is this called? (Photo attached)

What is the white thing behind the gutter on the corner of this house called? I have one on my house which is wood and has rotted, but I can't think of the name of it.

JoeyJoeJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:05 PM   #2

Hey Joeyjoejo,

I think that is just called a vinyl siding corner trim. I think there is a technical name for it, but that's what I have always called it. Why do you need to know? Do you need to replace it? Let me know more to help you. -Gregg

gotogregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #3

Yeah, I have to replace it due to wood rot. I was trying to find it on Home Depot's website but I wasn't having any luck.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #4

Umm, it's all white. If you're talking about the surface that's parallel to the ground, that's a soffit. If you're talking about the board that the gutter is attached to, that's a fascia board.

EDIT: Sorry - I see what you're referring to now. Gotogregg's right, that's vinyl corner trim.

Last edited by Scoutsout; 05-12-2011 at 01:12 PM.
Scoutsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:40 PM   #5

You won't find a wooden one on HD. Just buy two pieces of clear 3/4 pine and nail them together. One piece will need to be 3/4 less wide then the other so when they are nailed you get an equal corner.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:51 PM   #6

Joed is right. If you need it made out of wood you will have to make it. If it's vinyl you can get it at Home Depot.
gotogregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotogregg View Post
Joed is right. If you need it made out of wood you will have to make it. If it's vinyl you can get it at Home Depot.
It's wood, but can I replace it with a vinyl one? Seems like that would be the right choice to avoid this situation (wood rot) in the future.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

the thing behind the gutter is the fascia

He could be referring to something else but I read his question as meaning the fascia. That is usually what rots out as well.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:47 PM   #9

Thanks for the pic Nap. In my original post I said gutter when I should have said downspout. I'm looking at the thing that's perpendicular to the ground that the downspout is attached to, not the gutter. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
nap
You talking to me?

OH! In that case, it is called: siding. The downspout is not attached to the outside corner for vinyl siding. It sets beside it.

I'm just giving you a hard time. Although what I stated is true, it was just to screw with ya as I do understand what you are referring to. It is a vinyl outside corner or outside corner trim.
nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:12 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJo View Post
It's wood, but can I replace it with a vinyl one? Seems like that would be the right choice to avoid this situation (wood rot) in the future.
The vinyl one made for vinyl siding will not work in you application. However they do make synthetic woods. It works and is installed just like wood but it never rots.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #12
Long-Time DIYer

You can use pressure-treated wood (pine), which if properly treated, should last about 50 years (limited warranty).
Or you can use synthetic wood as suggested, which should never rot, like plastic, woodgrain-like decking or cement fiberboard siding (Hardi-Plank is a brand name for the latter for instance, also with a 50-year limited warranty).
If you use untreated wood, even if painted, it will sooner or later absorb water and rot again.
Good Luck!
Mike

Last edited by Mike Swearingen; 05-12-2011 at 10:27 PM.
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:16 PM   #13

We call them corner trim boards. I've been using a product called Lifespan http://www.lifespanoutdoor.com/perfo.../stability.php

It's finger jointed kiln-dried radiata pine, treated and primed. It's really beautiful wood, much nicer than the spruce they sell out my way. It comessin two thicknesses and several widths and lots of lengths. It's a little spendy but I htink well worth the cost. Yes, you may have to rip one of the boards to get the two sides of the corner to come out the same. One warning - pine is soft so hammer dents show up really well, I use finish screws. They hold better, don't rust, and no hammer dents!
philS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:00 AM   #14
KemoSabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoeJo View Post
Azek or another PVC trim would be the ticket for that application. It comes in different thicknesses and widths, as well as being available in sheet goods. It machines very much like wood and installs with ease.
Attached Thumbnails
What is this called? (Photo attached)-002-copy-3-.jpg   What is this called? (Photo attached)-012.jpg   What is this called? (Photo attached)-003-copy-4-.jpg  
Old 05-18-2011, 02:20 PM   #15
the Musigician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotogregg View Post
If it's vinyl you can get it at Home Depot.
....or Menards, or Lowes, or any builder's supply that sells siding.

DM