What Is This Called? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

What is this called?

I took these off my deck railings to replace the deck boards and some stripped out. What are these called? Can I get these at Home Depot?
Attached Thumbnails
What is this called?-image-1879314418.jpg   What is this called?-image-561622701.jpg   What is this called?-image-2393334098.jpg  

Advertisement

johnsorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 602

What is this called?

It's a barrel nut, but I've never once seen them used in deck railings.
Are they steel or aluminum railings?
If your going to replace them use all stainless steel not steel or plated.

Advertisement

ben's plumbing (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 06:33 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

What is this called?

Joe is right. They are known as barrel nuts, Chicago somethings, and by other names but usually if the two sides are the same size.

I am walking into a trap with this one and we shall see what the moderators say.

If the two sides are not the same length, the general industry term for the two sides are "sex bolts" and "mating screws" which sounds really kinky hugh? You can buy them separate and in different lengths. See page two of this fasteners chart.

http://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-in...Type-Chart.pdf

They are very fine threaded so even if Home Desperate or Blowe's has some I would not trust them because you will probably strip the cheap Chinese manufacturing trying to match them up. Or buy four times what you need. They are tricky to work with.

If you have a real fastener store they will order what ever you need if they do not have them. Or get them online from a real fastener supplier.

Not sure I agree with Joe they should not have been used on your deck railings but they seem a weird choice to me too. Make sure you step up in diameter if these things were rocking around.

I do agree with Joe. Get them in Stainless or Brass if used outdoors. Brass itself is rather soft though so again mind my warning about the tight threads and unforgiving nature of these suckers.

And as mentioned, go slow fitting the two sides to each other. You can strip threads in a heartbeat. I used them often on sailboat restorations. Nothing wrong with them and they do work. I just cannot see fitting 2x2 treated pine deck railings with them. For all I know, you have teak or something though.

Last edited by user1007; 08-08-2013 at 06:41 PM.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

What is this called?

Had a second so did some quick searches. Home Desperate had nothing on their website even close to what you need so save yourself a trip. Or take a camera and snap pictures of minimum wage deer caught in headlights as you ask for help?

I bought most fasteners in last home territory from Fastenal so see if there is one close. I did not search the Grainger site but someone in customer support will at least know what you are talking about with regard to sex bolts and mating screws.

West Coast Rope may have marine versions for all I know.

These online people seem really intriguing to me. Same people that provided the nice chart in my prior post.

http://www.boltdepot.com/Sex_bolts_a...ng_screws.aspx

And of course, when in doubt, try Amazon.

Prices seem great too.

Last edited by user1007; 08-08-2013 at 06:59 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,646

What is this called?

Google Chicago Screw
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
Too Short? Cut it Again!

What is this called?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairview View Post
Google Chicago Screw
Why. I thought I explained the standard industry terminology is sex bolts and mating screws. That is how they are sold.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 602

What is this called?

Any box store is not going to list every nut and bolt they sell. There's hundreds if not thousands of items sitting on there shelves not on line.
I can find them in the fastener section in any hardware or box store. There should be no reason to have to order them on online and have to buy a whole box and pay shipping, it's a common item.
Google barrel bolts and see what comes up.
Not sure where the term sex bolts comes from, but it's not what's going to be on the box or the label on the shelve in any fastener store I've ever seen in 40 years .
Old 08-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #8
Too Short? Cut it Again!

What is this called?

Joe, please do not make me embarass you further. Any fastener supplier will know if you are ordering a barrel nut or a Chicago bolt you are only ordering half---the female side of the the fastener you need. The terminology really is industry standard.

I say again a sex bolt does not work without a mating screw and that is the way coherent people buy these type of fasteners. I promise. I have actually bought more than four. Amazing you have never experienced the terminology. You can buy the sex bolts and mating screws in different lengths even from each other. At the end of the day, they have to match up or you strip the threads and toss both ends. Get them to match? They are a great fastening system.

And the challenge is, since most fine threads, or a few have coarse threads? They have to engage somewhere in the middle of what you are assembling, some precision in drilling the holes for them is required. You will not be able to see the sex bolt and mating screw engage on the exterior of whatever you are joining. You will just have to feel it. If the holes for both sides are true and shafts of both sides fit snug. No problemo. If they have expanded. Step up and even drill out to the next diameter shank size.
Attached Images

Last edited by user1007; 08-08-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:32 PM   #9
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

What is this called?

Yep. Sex Bolts. Millions and millions of pieces of fire door hardware is installed with them, but if I asked for a barrel bolt, I'm going to get one of these:
Attached Images

Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:50 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,646

What is this called?

Chicago Screw - no shoulder
Attached Images

Advertisement

SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote