What Is The Best Sump Pump? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-16-2010, 03:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

What is the best sump pump?

We've had water in our basement twice in the past 8 years. The exhaust hose came off the sump pump the first time and it burned out the motor. The second time the float did not turn on the pump, had to giggle it to make it run.

We are replacing the drywall (mold), and want to put in a reliable pump. What is the best kind to get? We want battery backup and also an alarm if the water get too high in the sump well.

What does everyone recommend?

Advertisement

papageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 06:06 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,466

we use zoeller 1/3rd cast iron submersibles,,, never a pedestal pump for a pro - that's a tip-off plumbers did the work,,, pumps sit in a 35gal sump - no 5gal bucket,,, mechanical float switch, not the floating ping pong ball,,, plumbing pro supply only, NOT an apron/vest store,,, discharge line is 1 1/2" sched 40 pvc, NOT mickey mouse flex hose,,, you also need an adapter 'tween pump & pipe,,, don't forget the ck valve - 10' head on the pipe - 2" pvc gravity discharge after the 10'

backup pump - im-n-s-h-fo, absolute BEST is zoeller's water powered,,, 12v pumps have limited discharge capacity & even marine batteries run down quickly falling behind in ability to discharge as water rises,,, pump alarms are only $18 but, if no one's around, the alarm notifies whom ? if you are home & the power goes out, you'll know it when you're lighting candles,,, while the $ difference is slightly higher, i'd ONLY have wtr-powered backup in OUR home,,, good luck !

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:09 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks for the input
You said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsreallyconc View Post
pumps sit in a 35gal sump - no 5gal bucket,,,
Of course I have no control over that. The hole / sump that the pump is in definately looks bigger than 5 gal, but not much.

I'll go to the local plumbing supply center to see if I can get this unit.

If it is a 5-gal sump, it should still work fine -- right?
papageek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 512

Seems like a water-powered backup only makes sense if you have city water.
operagost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
Stairguy

Rewards Points: 500

i agree with itsreallyconc. I have my Zoeller hooked up with a seperate backup pump with a deep cell marine battery. all pvc pipe with a check valve. It was on the pricey side but well worth it. I also put in a french drain.
Millertyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 07:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,466

5 gal sump IS not the right size as your pump will be on/off/on/off & burn out sooner,,, the condition is known as ' shortpumping ' & can often be traced to an ignorant h/o or stupid plumber altho h/o's have been known to be stupid, also

yes, if the power goes out & you're on a well, tough **** IF you have ONLY the wtr-power'd backup,,, then your bride can ask ' why didn't you also get a backup emergency 10kw auxiliary generator instead of the new ( insert toy here ) ? ? ? ? ? ? '

Advertisement

stadry is offline   Reply With Quote