Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2009, 04:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

what is best outdoor deck material

slats in wood deck are rotting. ....looking for best replacement that does not have to be stained or treated and requires little maitenence....house is in notheast (suburb of NYC)

exqssme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

red wood or red cedar. my favorites and whats wrong with a little oil once a year or not. just let them turn to a nice grey..

wood decks are the best. Trex and timber tech arent there yet imho.

II Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

I never recommend composites, but if you want a MAINTENANCE FREE deck, redwood or cedar are not good choices. To keep them good looking and long lasting, they need to be periodically stained/sealed. They do beat the heck out of treated decking though.

Composites will last forever. They may not look beautiful forever (or even for a year in some cases), but they'll last forever.

Ipe is a very good option if you want real wood. It is in the price range of composites. You can leave it unstained and untreated if you like and it will last for decades with little or no degradation. Awesome stuff.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 500

Any wood material will require some degree of maintenance. If you're alright with letting the wood gray with age and depending on your location redwood, cedar, mahogany, and ipe can all be used without sealing/or staining.

I just priced an ipe deck and balusters in my area: $6.30 each (2"x2"x3'). A 2"x6"x18' was $172.60 per piece. 2"x4"x16' was $93.28 per piece. Plugs where 100ct for $19.99. Definitely more expensive than what I can get composite decking for.

If you buy a good quality sealer and pretreat the wood with borate before you seal it, you should only have to re-seal every other year. There is no such thing as a truly maintenece free deck. You should also inspect your deck framing yearly for signs of wear and damage.
ARI001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by exqssme View Post
slats in wood deck are rotting. ....looking for best replacement that does not have to be stained or treated and requires little maitenence....house is in notheast (suburb of NYC)
Are you looking for recomendations for the best composite?
framer53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARI001 View Post
I just priced an ipe deck and balusters in my area: $6.30 each (2"x2"x3'). A 2"x6"x18' was $172.60 per piece. 2"x4"x16' was $93.28 per piece. Plugs where 100ct for $19.99. Definitely more expensive than what I can get composite decking for.
What do IPE deck boards go for?
Or are the 2x6/2x4 used as deck boards?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
What do IPE deck boards go for?
Or are the 2x6/2x4 used as deck boards?
The 2x6 are the deck boards. The supplier I use does not have 5/4" available in Ipe.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:09 PM   #8
Newbie Bill

Wow, that is $9.58 per linear foot for the 2X6. See if your guy can source some 5/4X6 out for you. On line it is going for $2.94 a linear foot.

That Ipe is tough stuff and 5/4X6 is more than sufficient for decking. I saw a demonstration where a guy took a 5 foot long 5/4X6 Ipe deck board, spanned it over its entire length and stood on it.

Yes there was some deflection, but very little. Wow. I'd like to see someone do that with composite.

I wish it didn't cost me an arm and a leg to get the stuff shipped to me up here.

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.

Last edited by drtbk4ever; 07-24-2009 at 12:20 PM.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:28 PM   #9
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post
Wow, that is $9.58 per linear foot for the 2X6. See if your guy can source some 5/4X6 out for you. On line it is going for $2.94 a linear foot.

That Ipe is tough stuff and 5/4X6 is more than sufficient for decking. I saw a demonstration where a guy took a 5 foot long 5/4X6 Ipe deck board, spanned it over its entire length and stood on it.

Yes there was some deflection, but very little. Wow. I'd like to see someone do that with composite.

I wish it didn't cost me an arm and a leg to get the stuff shipped to me up here.
All the stuff I have seen online that is 5/4" is not planed. If you have some links please post.
Old 07-24-2009, 12:44 PM   #10
Newbie Bill

Hey Ari001,

Here is the site I got the price from
http://www.ipedepot.com/

It is a part of Advantage Lumber.

http://www.advantagelumber.com/

I don't know if their decking has been planed. Noob comment coming... I thought it came sanded on at least 3 sides. Is that what you mean by planed?

A DIY Noob that knows just enough to be dangerous.
drtbk4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 12:52 PM   #11

Ok, ok...Maybe Ipe's more money than composite. I was simply trying to illustrate that it isn't on par with the aforementioned cedar, ACQ, etc.

No need for 5/4 ipe on most decks. The 4/4 stuff is a lot easier to stomach for decking and is plenty stiff. I bought a piece of 5/4x6"-8' ipe a couple weeks ago and it was about $50...ouch. But, it'll outlast everything out there and it looks just plain classy.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 01:44 PM   #12

I think it$ out for me
Once we get the addition paid off I can buy better stuff
But the 3 PT decks hopefully will last 20-30 years w/proper maintenance
By that time I may have to hire someone to replace the decking
But maybe not
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
General Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtbk4ever View Post
Hey Ari001,

Here is the site I got the price from
http://www.ipedepot.com/

It is a part of Advantage Lumber.

http://www.advantagelumber.com/

I don't know if their decking has been planed. Noob comment coming... I thought it came sanded on at least 3 sides. Is that what you mean by planed?
Thanks for the links. No, I meant rough milled as in plane yourself or pay the mill to do so for you. Most of the mills I've dealt with will charge you if you want it sanded after planing also.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:58 PM   #14

Thanks for all the responses

I will probalbly go with wood.... thought there may be a new product out there that i did not know about and could save work and time regading maintenance......
someone recommended Correct Deck www.correctdeck.com but i have't seen the material......

Any recommendation for a good wood sealer?......I will probably not stain the deck

Thanks again
Old 07-24-2009, 03:03 PM   #15

....i not familr with all latest products and i would not mind a composte as long as it dosen't look to "fake"...... someone told me about Composite Deck www.compositedeck.com but have not seen it

Thanks for the reply