Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #1

Share |

What is the Best Deck material for Severe Sun and Colorado Winters?

I have been trying to get answer on this for a couple of months now. It seems every site I go to, contractor or not, has a different answer. "Use this not that" or "Don't use that use this".

I realize most concur TREX has royally screwed up in the past to the point of Class action lawsuit; but their Transends product is supposed to be very good; but do I really want to trust them and be their guinea pig? I know alot otheir issues dealt with mold and staining because of mold(Not a problem in Colorado) but also bad sun fade and breakdown.

AZTEC seems to have a good name, especially in all PVC(Plastic), but their decks are slippery when wet and have an expansion problem not really suited for the hot strong sun and cold Winter nights in Colorado.

TIMBERTECH is supposed to have a good assortment, but also had problems with sun fade; but I don't need an assortment. I'm looking for a contempory looking deck with light grey colors, that will last a long time in these harsh elements.

As far as Color is concerned, I like the two-tone Castle Grey FIBERON has with it's Horizon line. It is a PVC encapsulated composite with a good track record. However, I've read horror stories on how badly they back their product even when absolute proof is provided.

I've even taken a look at puting a SILCA system, which is a stone slab system that even works on an elevated deck like mine(About 10' off the ground). But I can't get any real answers from people who have actually installed it in a harsh enviorment like mine.

FYI, Colorado has very strong sun at least 355 days a year. Even in the winter months my deck will warm to 80 and 90 degrees and can go as low as -25 at night and have 3' of snow on it. In the summer my exposure is brutal; from 12 noon until the sunset. Therefore I need a lighter color so its not unbearably hot to walk on.

I would love some input from anyone who has a deck, or built one for a customer, with these seasonal extremes and strong sun. Thanx!

peakcelln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
Experienced

Personally, steps to a concrete patio works best for me.

Mark

Old 05-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #3

Obviously Concrete would work best, but my deck is 10' above ground off a 2nd story slider; not really pratical in my situation. Unless it's that Silca system I read about. But I'm affraid those plastic grid grates the stone lays on would be affected by the strong sun. Even late in the day the sun will almost hit under the deck because I am a bit raised on a hill. Colorado weather tends to make plastic brittle.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Mod

Oh…here’s a crazy thought… how about Wood.

No class actions against it.

Ipe being my first choice followed by Western Red Cedar.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-11-2012), Ravenworks (05-06-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 02:00 PM   #5

I realize wood is a viable option for some areas, but in Colorado it is a maintainence horror. When I first moved in and my deck was still red from the fresh cut, I applied thompsons to it one in the begining of the summer, then again in the fall. Then again the following begining of the summer with a supposed better brand, then in the fall. The third year I power washed it then applied again, by Fall it needed it again. By the next Spring it looked like I never did anything to it at all. I gave up at that point. Colorado's hot sun and UV rays, combined with its temperature swings of 60 and 65 degrees in a single day, just laugh at you, your wood deck, and whatever you try to do to protect it. Especially if you have a west southwest exposure with no tree cover, as I do. It's brutal.

To give you an idea; in the Winter, as long as its 20 degrees or higher, I turn the heat off, open all the blinds on my 2 story great room windows, and the house keeps warm all day and night with no gas heat useage at all.

Back east in NY where I grew up, you could treat your deck every other year and it would last a long time. Not here. Wood decking at my house is the most expensive, foolhardy, and frustrating, decking to install when you consider what you pay in time, materials, and labor; only to have it still look like crap. Wood is Not an option; but thanx anyway.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #6
Mod

Well that's the beauty of Ipe, you don't have to do a thing to it.

Good luck with your search for the perfect plastic.
The Following User Says Thank You to kwikfishron For This Useful Post:
DangerMouse (05-06-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwikfishron View Post
Well that's the beauty of Ipe, you don't have to do a thing to it.

Good luck with your search for the perfect plastic.
LOL.... I have read about Ipe. However, all that I have read have been from users in wet or normal climates. Colorado is also very dry(Mostly in the 10-15% Humidity range), another factor that kills wood. Isnt Ipe a tropical wood? Has any of the aplications been done in a dry climate, with the sun and temperature extremes of where I live? If so, I'd like to know how it held up.

It also seems to be the highest priced alternative at $5+ a foot, or has that price dropped recently?
Old 05-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #8
Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakcelln View Post
LOL.... I have read about Ipe. However, all that I have read have been from users in wet or normal climates. Colorado is also very dry(Mostly in the 10-15% Humidity range), another factor that kills wood. Isnt Ipe a tropical wood? Has any of the aplications been done in a dry climate, with the sun and temperature extremes of where I live? If so, I'd like to know how it held up.

It also seems to be the highest priced alternative at $5+ a foot, or has that price dropped recently?
http://www.advantagelumber.com/ipe_d...log/ipe-bridge

http://www.summitdaily.com/article/2...NEWS/909049989

You only get what you pay for.

I've never paid even close to $5 lf. before but it's been awhile.

Last edited by kwikfishron; 05-05-2012 at 02:58 PM.
kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #9

IPE still sucks in Colorado, I know you guys don't bother listening but it still REQUIRES maintenance 2 X a year to look good. The deck below was stained 2 x a year for 11 years, and it still greys out every couple months. Colorado is HARSHER than any other environment so forget real IPE unless you want to spend more time maintaining than enjoying.

Take it from someone who has been building decks in Colorado for 8 years.
Avoid wood.
Avoid PVC UNLESS your deck is 16' or less wide.
Avoid traditional composites.
Use cap layer boards, my personal favorite is Fiberon in the Horizon or the Pro-Tect line.
Use steel rails (very few composite or PVC railings can take the beating).
Use steel frame.
Attached Thumbnails
What is the Best Deck material for Severe Sun and Colorado Winters?-ipe.jpg  
robertcdf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robertcdf For This Useful Post:
AtlanticWBConst. (05-06-2012), peakcelln (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #10

I'm glad to see someone else can attest to the harsh variant weather in Colorado. If Ipe is the most durable and weather resistant wood for decks, you did 2x/year maintainence, and still had problems, imagine how I fared with my redwood deck. I also see the picture you provided looked like the rail provided some partial shade; my deck didnt even have that advantage.

Interesting you say to use steel supports; is that for the vertical posts you put in the ground, the horrizontal supports under the decking itself, or both? I do notice all my supports are almost as bad as the deck itself. Where do you get steel decking supports? Do most HOA's approve them?

As I mentioned in my OP, I liked the Fiberon Horizon Castle Grey the most. I believe it was the one with a two-tone grey look in the "Grain" itself; very contemporary looking, which is what my wife and I like. Will that two-tone color hold up in this sun and UV? Have you had any problems with the flaking, spotting, or dusting issues? Have you ever had to utilize a warranty with Fiberon? I read two accounts where contractors had ample proof of product fail and Fiberon basically gave them the run around, ignored them, and never fulfilled the warranty.

What does that Fiberon Horizon product cost, and what can I expect to pay on roughly a 13' x 23' deck w/ the supports you suggested?

What about that Silca System; have you put those in? It seems real stone would do the best in Colorado, but I can't get any feedback on it.

Sorry to ask so many questions, just trying to learn as best I can so I dont throw my money into something I'll need to replace again in 10 years.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by peakcelln View Post
I'm glad to see someone else can attest to the harsh variant weather in Colorado. If Ipe is the most durable and weather resistant wood for decks, you did 2x/year maintainence, and still had problems, imagine how I fared with my redwood deck. I also see the picture you provided looked like the rail provided some partial shade; my deck didnt even have that advantage.

Interesting you say to use steel supports; is that for the vertical posts you put in the ground, the horrizontal supports under the decking itself, or both? I do notice all my supports are almost as bad as the deck itself. Where do you get steel decking supports? Do most HOA's approve them?

As I mentioned in my OP, I liked the Fiberon Horizon Castle Grey the most. I believe it was the one with a two-tone grey look in the "Grain" itself; very contemporary looking, which is what my wife and I like. Will that two-tone color hold up in this sun and UV? Have you had any problems with the flaking, spotting, or dusting issues? Have you ever had to utilize a warranty with Fiberon? I read two accounts where contractors had ample proof of product fail and Fiberon basically gave them the run around, ignored them, and never fulfilled the warranty.

What does that Fiberon Horizon product cost, and what can I expect to pay on roughly a 13' x 23' deck w/ the supports you suggested?

What about that Silca System; have you put those in? It seems real stone would do the best in Colorado, but I can't get any feedback on it.

Sorry to ask so many questions, just trying to learn as best I can so I dont throw my money into something I'll need to replace again in 10 years.
We do the entire frame out of steel (ledger, joists, beams) however people usually opt for wood posts for aesthetics and cost.

Fiberon has been a great product to work with and I've had minimal problems (manufacturing defect, the board widths vary from size to size 12,16,20) However I called my rep and had new material in 2 days. A homeowner trying to make that happen probably would not have worked, Fiberon understands that the contractors can make or break their product. I typically only order 20' length boards to minimize variations unless we are doing a small project.

You can look at my website under "package deals" that deck is a little smaller, but it will give you some ideas.

I've never gotten someone to pull the trigger on the stone products, usually due to cost, you can do a LOT more with your deck by using a composite product over the costly stone offerings.

No problem on the questions, Colorado is a unique environment and most people who haven't lived here actually understand its harsh environment.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #12

I have used many products over the years and have found TimberTech to be where its at. I live in Norther Illinois so we also have cold winters and hot summers and it does very well. I realize your winters are worse but I think you would be pleased.
HartKyle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:08 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartKyle83 View Post
I have used many products over the years and have found TimberTech to be where its at. I live in Norther Illinois so we also have cold winters and hot summers and it does very well. I realize your winters are worse but I think you would be pleased.
It's more about how DRY we are and how close we are to the sun (7,000 ft + elevation) I'm from Illinois and there is no comparison to the environments. (no offense intended)
Old 05-06-2012, 11:19 AM   #14

I wouldnt say the Winters are that much worse. In fact, theyre probably much nicer than Illinois(Shhh, thats a best kept secret).

Colorado always gets the fame because of their early fall and late Spring snowstorms; but in reality, it can get to upper 60's in any month;ie..this February was the snowiest at 18" followed by the warmest March w/ some temps in the 80's. Before February, it really hadnt snowed since before Christmas.

What kills decks here is we are 1 -1 1/3 miles closer to the sun and the harmful UV rays. We also have HUGE temperature swings of 60+ degrees in a 24 hour period. It also has a very low relative humidity.

I've lived here for 20 years after living in NY all my life and the Winters here are WAY nicer; you just have to expect the unexpected, and respect any snowstorm can potentially bring 1 inch to 4 feet of snow. However, soon after that, the strong sun comes out, and the snow is gone in days. The overused and popular phrase here is "If you don't like the weather, wait a minute". The mountains are a different situation.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertcdf View Post
It's more about how DRY we are and how close we are to the sun (7,000 ft + elevation) I'm from Illinois and there is no comparison to the environments. (no offense intended)
Oops, you posted this just before I did, probably while I was writing it...

Tags
aztec, fiberon, silca, timbertech, trex