What All Goes Under The Anchor Bolts? - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

what all goes under the anchor bolts?

I've got a 70's ranch that has a 6" stem wall then a 2x4 sill plate then 2x6 T&G subfloor. I'm moving a couple of exterior walls to utilize the space that is within the existing roof line. I don't know how far to hold my anchor bolts out on the new stem wall because I'm not sure what all is going to go under them. should just the sill plate get bolted down and then bore holes in the subfloor and bottom wall board to avoid the studs or do I have the anchors stick out more and bolt the sill plate and subfloor? Or sill plate, subfloor and bottom wall board? Help please. Thanks, 1

Advertisement

1dumbquestion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 606

Sill or double bottom plate gets bolted down where I am. Ron

Advertisement

ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 552

How it's done may depend on where you are.
Whole different world in a quake zone.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,010

I notch the decking when using T&G. It should show the detail on the approved plans as I don't see how you could pick up "floor space" without a new bearing wall/floor system. ??

Gary
Old 05-24-2014, 11:57 PM   #5
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1dumbquestion View Post
I've got a 70's ranch that has a 6" stem wall then a 2x4 sill plate then 2x6 T&G subfloor. I'm moving a couple of exterior walls to utilize the space that is within the existing roof line. I don't know how far to hold my anchor bolts out on the new stem wall because I'm not sure what all is going to go under them. should just the sill plate get bolted down and then bore holes in the subfloor and bottom wall board to avoid the studs or do I have the anchors stick out more and bolt the sill plate and subfloor? Or sill plate, subfloor and bottom wall board? Help please. Thanks, 1
Gary is right... that should be in your struct plans.

But I've read this three times and have no idea what kind of assembly you are talking about.

Where are your flooring joists.... What is a 2x6 TnG subfloor....some kind of substitute... Did yo mean TJ's

What's bottom wall board.

Can you give us a drawing/sketch.

(I've built a little in earthquake country, and it is pretty much conventional platform framing... just beefed up right and left and everywhere. You bolt down your mudsill conventinally (except your mudsill is a 3x4 or 3x6)
Old 05-25-2014, 05:32 PM   #6

The joists are actually beams with 4-5' on center spacing, first chart; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...?bu2=undefined

Mudsill (bottom wall board....) sits on concrete stem wall with bolts protruding through (sometime) the 1-1/2" thick T&G decking, (sometimes) up into the bottom plate which requires drilling for full contact on decking. Bad design as the air moves from the crawlspace to the wall cavity around the structural materials due to over-sized holes. Better to cut the excess off the J-bolts (code-required thread distance left for secure anchoring) above the nut/washer (if required). A good link on info; http://www.awc.org/pdf/wcd4.pdf

Gary
MTN REMODEL LLC (05-25-2014)
Old 05-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #7
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in WA View Post
The joists are actually beams with 4-5' on center spacing, first chart; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...?bu2=undefined

Mudsill (bottom wall board....) sits on concrete stem wall with bolts protruding through (sometime) the 1-1/2" thick T&G decking, (sometimes) up into the bottom plate which requires drilling for full contact on decking. Bad design as the air moves from the crawlspace to the wall cavity around the structural materials due to over-sized holes. Better to cut the excess off the J-bolts (code-required thread distance left for secure anchoring) above the nut/washer (if required). A good link on info; http://www.awc.org/pdf/wcd4.pdf

Gary
Thanks Gare..... I've never seen that..... is that very common up in your area....

(Matter of fact, I've never seen TnG 2X for flooring.)
Old 05-25-2014, 06:28 PM   #8

I framed 4 houses with T&G (4 too many), back in '75 as I was just starting out in framing and took any work I found (non-union- as I just quit the apprenticeship program (2 years early- due to "who you knew" for steady work...). A lot of extra work, and very hard moving 16'-20' 2x6 T&G rather than plywood on the floor/roof. Stopped seeing them in early '80's... no regrets, lol.

Gary

Advertisement

MTN REMODEL LLC (05-25-2014)