Wet Window Sill - Building & Construction - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2015, 12:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 137

Wet window sill

I have a wood double hung single pane window with metal frame storm window over it on the north side of the house. During the winter I get a fair amount of condensation on the inside of the storm window which runs down onto the sill and eventually works its way through the paint. Every couple years I have to remove all the paint and let the wood sill dry out and then repaint. I was considering placing a piece of aluminum material on the sill and caulking it against the storm window frame so the water would not get to the wood underneath. I'm worried that the sill will eventually rot if I don't find a better solution than just repainting it often. Does anyone have any other ideas on how to prevent the sill from getting water damage? Thanks

Advertisement

kb3ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:32 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 10,536

Go outside and look at those storm window frames.
When they where new there was two dimples that needed to stay open for drainage.
If someone caulked or painted over them it will not dry out.
That sill can be wrapped with coil stock but you would need a brake to bend the metal, in fact the whole thing can be wrapped on the outside so there's no more exposed wood to deal with.

Advertisement

CompleteW&D (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 02:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,792

Your prime windows are leaking warm air, and when it meets the cold storm window it condenses.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canarywood1 For This Useful Post:
CompleteW&D (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 04:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,336

If you're getting condensation on the storm window, warm air is leaking out through the wood sash window. You can try weather stripping the main window to see if that helps. Does the wood sash unit have weight pockets?
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
CompleteW&D (10-15-2015)
Old 10-15-2015, 04:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 524

You've got some great advice already....

Your prime window is leaking warm air causing the condensation. And, there should be weep holes at the bottom of the storm to allow that condensation to dry out. Like Joe says, they are very likely painted/caulked over.
CompleteW&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 137

The drain holes are not covered. The outside of the sill is already wrapped in aluminum. I have in the past used some of that heat shrink plastic on the inside and that helped some. Flashing coil is too difficult to work with since I don't have access to a bender. Was just thinking if I could cover the sill with something water proof and that would solve future problems with the sill wood getting wet. I realize that the condensation is coming from warm air leaking thru the window but these are crappy Dixie millwork windows from the 70's.
Thanks for the suggestions. If you come up with other suggestions please post them.
kb3ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 04:29 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 524

Sounds like it's time for a new window. You can spend $$$ on chasing a fix forever. When the root of the problem is still the window. Maybe it's just time....
CompleteW&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:43 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2

yup time for a new window
woodworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 10,536

Post a picture.
The only right way to have wrapped that sill is to remove the storm window, under cut the side jambs and window stop, then wrapped the sill.
If someone just wasted there time wrapping the outside of the sill, it's not going to work and just trap water under it.

Advertisement

CompleteW&D (10-16-2015)