Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #1

Share |

Wet- Moisture bedroom drywall panel

Hello; There is half of entire wall on the interior of bedroom which is very wet. I can pass my hand and drips of water collect. The wet portion is close to a window, and from the floor to about the height of a man; not all the way to the ceiling. The tenant says this happens when it rains or when it is very cold. In summer it is o.k. Two years ago I did a concrete driveway on the outside to slope outward from the house because moisture was sipping in. Now I have the problem again. To me the problem is not plumbing drainage because it is not all the time. It is not a roof problem because the upper portion of the window is dry. It is not a window problem because the window is sealed all around. It is not a heater problem on the inside because there is no heater. I just can not understand why that portion of the wall in the bedroom is wet and only in winter time. I have been thinking to pay a couple hundred dollars to an engineer to figure out why. Any ideas ? Have you had similar experience ?
I really appreciate any input. How can I fix it if I do not know the reason ?
Please hep. Thanks

Gabriel8642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #2

And without some pictures were lost to.
Also go back and add your location to your profile.
It's makes a big differance where you are, and what it may be.
An engineer would be clueless on this one.
Any decent handy man, GC, siding guy can figure it out.

Ice dam, gutters plugged up, not enough over hang on the shingles, window sill is rotted, no Z molding over the window, gutters not tight to the fashia, coil stock installed wrong around the window, tabs over the window on the J mouding done wrong.
Just a few things that can go wrong.

Last edited by joecaption; 02-05-2013 at 09:48 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel8642 View Post
Hello; There is half of entire wall on the interior of bedroom which is very wet. I can pass my hand and drips of water collect. The wet portion is close to a window, and from the floor to about the height of a man; not all the way to the ceiling.
Is this an exterior wall or an interior wall? What is on the other side of this wall?

Quote:
The tenant says this happens when it rains or when it is very cold. In summer it is o.k.
Sounds like a possible condensation problem. Does it have to be raining for it to happen or will it do it when it is just cold? Also, Define Cold.

Quote:
Two years ago I did a concrete driveway on the outside to slope outward from the house because moisture was sipping in. Now I have the problem again.
Is this a lower level room (underground/basement)?

Quote:
To me the problem is not plumbing drainage because it is not all the time. It is not a roof problem because the upper portion of the window is dry. It is not a window problem because the window is sealed all around.
Roof leaks can do some strange things. I had one a while ago that was leaking and the only visible sign was a wet area on the first floor wall of a two story house. Also what might look like a sealed window could in fact not be. We can not tell without seeing it.

Quote:
It is not a heater problem on the inside because there is no heater. I just can not understand why that portion of the wall in the bedroom is wet and only in winter time.
Is there any plumbing above that area? (Bathroom, kitchen etc)

Quote:
I have been thinking to pay a couple hundred dollars to an engineer to figure out why. Any ideas ? Have you had similar experience ?
I really appreciate any input. How can I fix it if I do not know the reason ?
Please hep. Thanks
Sounds like the wall material will have to come down anyway if it is as wet as you say. Might as well bite the bullet and do it now. That way you can inspect the interior and see what is going on.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #4

Reply to DENPIK #1 The wet area is on the inside part of the wall in the bedroom. On the outside the wall is stucco.
#2 The wet area happens when it rains or when it is extremely cold. In Los Angeles iit is very unlikely to be cold.
Only once in a blue moon.
#3 This is a ground level bedroom. Standing from outside and looking at the window, one can see very well inside.
#4 There is no plumbing above the area. If it was a plumbing problem it would also be in summertime.
Gabriel8642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #5

Really need a picture of the outside of that window to even make a guess.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote