Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Building & Construction

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 14
Share |
Default

Wet- Moisture bedroom drywall panel


Hello; There is half of entire wall on the interior of bedroom which is very wet. I can pass my hand and drips of water collect. The wet portion is close to a window, and from the floor to about the height of a man; not all the way to the ceiling. The tenant says this happens when it rains or when it is very cold. In summer it is o.k. Two years ago I did a concrete driveway on the outside to slope outward from the house because moisture was sipping in. Now I have the problem again. To me the problem is not plumbing drainage because it is not all the time. It is not a roof problem because the upper portion of the window is dry. It is not a window problem because the window is sealed all around. It is not a heater problem on the inside because there is no heater. I just can not understand why that portion of the wall in the bedroom is wet and only in winter time. I have been thinking to pay a couple hundred dollars to an engineer to figure out why. Any ideas ? Have you had similar experience ?
I really appreciate any input. How can I fix it if I do not know the reason ?
Please hep. Thanks

Gabriel8642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 09:41 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,783
Default

Wet- Moisture bedroom drywall panel


And without some pictures were lost to.
Also go back and add your location to your profile.
It's makes a big differance where you are, and what it may be.
An engineer would be clueless on this one.
Any decent handy man, GC, siding guy can figure it out.

Ice dam, gutters plugged up, not enough over hang on the shingles, window sill is rotted, no Z molding over the window, gutters not tight to the fashia, coil stock installed wrong around the window, tabs over the window on the J mouding done wrong.
Just a few things that can go wrong.


Last edited by joecaption; 02-05-2013 at 09:48 PM.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:49 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: western Ny
Posts: 1,243
Default

Wet- Moisture bedroom drywall panel


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel8642 View Post
Hello; There is half of entire wall on the interior of bedroom which is very wet. I can pass my hand and drips of water collect. The wet portion is close to a window, and from the floor to about the height of a man; not all the way to the ceiling.
Is this an exterior wall or an interior wall? What is on the other side of this wall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel8642 View Post
The tenant says this happens when it rains or when it is very cold. In summer it is o.k.
Sounds like a possible condensation problem. Does it have to be raining for it to happen or will it do it when it is just cold? Also, Define Cold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel8642 View Post
Two years ago I did a concrete driveway on the outside to slope outward from the house because moisture was sipping in. Now I have the problem again.
Is this a lower level room (underground/basement)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel8642 View Post
To me the problem is not plumbing drainage because it is not all the time. It is not a roof problem because the upper portion of the window is dry. It is not a window problem because the window is sealed all around.
Roof leaks can do some strange things. I had one a while ago that was leaking and the only visible sign was a wet area on the first floor wall of a two story house. Also what might look like a sealed window could in fact not be. We can not tell without seeing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel8642 View Post
It is not a heater problem on the inside because there is no heater. I just can not understand why that portion of the wall in the bedroom is wet and only in winter time.
Is there any plumbing above that area? (Bathroom, kitchen etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel8642 View Post
I have been thinking to pay a couple hundred dollars to an engineer to figure out why. Any ideas ? Have you had similar experience ?
I really appreciate any input. How can I fix it if I do not know the reason ?
Please hep. Thanks
Sounds like the wall material will have to come down anyway if it is as wet as you say. Might as well bite the bullet and do it now. That way you can inspect the interior and see what is going on.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 14
Default

Wet- Moisture bedroom drywall panel


Reply to DENPIK #1 The wet area is on the inside part of the wall in the bedroom. On the outside the wall is stucco.
#2 The wet area happens when it rains or when it is extremely cold. In Los Angeles iit is very unlikely to be cold.
Only once in a blue moon.
#3 This is a ground level bedroom. Standing from outside and looking at the window, one can see very well inside.
#4 There is no plumbing above the area. If it was a plumbing problem it would also be in summertime.
Gabriel8642 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,783
Default

Wet- Moisture bedroom drywall panel


Really need a picture of the outside of that window to even make a guess.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FPE Panel change out. Main Breaber to Lug TJ14u Electrical 4 01-22-2013 10:54 PM
Routing pvc conduit through drywall near panel danthedad Electrical 7 02-02-2012 07:31 PM
Mobile Home Electrical Panel Replacement rrolleston Electrical 2 01-28-2012 05:27 PM
Sub Panel GND and mixed 240/120 VAC branch curiousB Electrical 12 01-17-2012 10:49 AM
Wiring a sub panel to another sub panel Uncle Wayne Electrical 25 02-08-2011 09:50 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.